Sunday, November 22, 2009

home again, home again, jiggety jig...

We are home.
Yesterday I would have written that like this:
WE ARE GOING HOME!!
But when I got home I realized that at the hospital, my only focus was Hailey and Diabetes.
But at home I have three other children that haven't seen me in days.
I have a house, that hasn't seen it's keeper in days.
A fridge that was empty and
laundry that was overflowing.

So last night was hard.

Hailey decided she was done with being understanding about all the poking and injecting and decided to start refusing. Porter needed rice cereal and started screaming. Caleb was crying/whining about something (no nap), and Jonas was desperately trying to tell me all about something he read in his book while we were gone.

OVERLOAD.

So my brother came with dinner (bless him), Caleb was quickly pacified by the diet sodas he brought along with dinner, Jonas started telling Brian all about whatever it was while he fed Porter, I had a heart to heart with Hailey which resulted in a hug and a shot in the tummy, and we set off to the store to fill the fridge.
Hailey reminded me we must bring her meter everywhere we go now, so we ran back in and grabbed it.
We shopped for "free" items like sugar free jello cups, string cheeses, and sugar free popcicles. (no carbs is the game we play now.)
We ran into many people and had to stop and talk.
Finally we loaded up and pulled out of the store when I realized the meter wasn't with us.

Really?

Day one and I already screwed up.

We searched the store and carts for an hour with no luck. Hailey was in a complete panic. She needed her night snack and shot so we left our name with the front desk and went home.

Dinner was still sitting out.

SIGH....

So I got her checked, shot and fed. Cleaned up, threw in some laundry, and promptly crashed. Brian handled the other kids and monitored Hailey in the night for me.
I woke up this morning and Hailey was back to being Super Hailey. She said having diabetes is cool because she got presents and special snacks.
And the shots and pokes no longer hurt.
The kitchen was still clean.
Laundry semi done.
And there was a message on the machine that the store found Hailey's meter.

So I think we are on an upswing.

5 comments:

6deans said...

Wow. Your life has definately changed. My little Sister was diagnosed when she was 10 about 20 years ago and she has handled it very well...she just had her 2nd baby and has never gone to a pump...still shots for her. I can't imagine how stressful these first few weeks are going to be for you. I don't know if I missed something on your blog but how did you know she had Diabetes? Was she losing weight and having to pee alot? You are a trooper and Hailey seems to be such a great girl. Good Luck!!!

Ashley Rae said...

You seriously amaze me. I don't think I'd ever be able to handle everything that you do. Holy crap, woman. Hailey seems like she's super strong and has a really good attitude. What a sweet heart. That is really good the store found the meter. How stressful that must have been. Seriously.

Heather said...

oh my heck my heart goes out to you... hailey is such a love.
How did you find out about hailey having diabetes???? what were her symptoms???
i guess she deserves that american girl doll now right!?!?!? :)
dinner on me when i see ya+a dr.pepper+well you think of the +.
i heart you...

xoxo

Sarah said...

well I guess that answers my questions I texted you last night :)
Hailey really is an amazing little girl. We can't wait to see her and give her a HUGE hug!

Jen said...

Yikes! I want to help however I can! Do you need me to take Caleb and Porter so you can get caught up on the house? I'll do it!