I will let you in on a little secret. Feeding a family of 6 is EXPENSIVE.
Seriously. It's like twice as much as a family of three. I'm serious!
Another well kept secret is that budgets suck. They suck because ours is always impossibly small.
I am always looking for ways to cut the costs. Like showing up on someone's doorstep just in time for a meal and waiting to be invited. Then I take home their left-overs. Two meals for free!
Okay, I don't do that because it's TACKY.
I look for ways to cut costs the un-tacky and kind way.
I go to Walmart.
I hate Walmart.
I feel like I am cheating on Target every time I go, but Shopping for groceries at Target is for those people who shop at Nordstrom's for kid's clothes. Not me.
Groceries at Walmart are cheap. You can get most of your favorite brands for cheaper than most places, but they also have their own brand "Great Value". And it usually is.
There are lots of Great Value things we have in our home.
Peanut butter, flour, sugar, dish soap, cereals, pretzels, fruit snacks, diapers, baby food, formula, the list goes on.
So the other day, I was in the chip isle. I had previously been informed that it is wrong for a kid to not get chips in their lunch and I was there to rectify the situation.
We have bought the Great Value BBQ and sour cream and onion chips and the kids happily munch them.
Today I saw they had Great Value Cheese crunches and Great Value Cheese Puffs, Cheetos! My kids LOVE Cheetos. Each bag was $1.50. A seriously good deal for Cheetos. I grabbed one of each and proudly brought them home.
I cracked open the bag the next day filled little baggies for the kids and at lunch time, put a handful of them on Caleb's plate. Now, Caleb is a Cheetos maniac. He asks for them in the middle of the night. He carries them with him home from the grocery store gently caressing the bag like we are heading home from the pet store with a puppy.
And Caleb said they were gross.
Interested I grabbed one and ate it and
SPIT IT OUT.
DISGUSTINGLY gross. Inedibley gross. The kids came home and said something was wrong with their Cheetos. I gave them to Brian and he said to screw the $3.00 and throw them out. We are not THAT broke.
Great Value didn't turn out to be such a value this time.
Another tack on the board of reasons to hate walmart:
Crappy Cheetos.
6 comments:
don't ever buy anything other than campbell's cream soups either. been there done that, just sayin.
I've committed the same crime.
And then I repented. :)
I loathe Walmart. They are evil. But they make their prices so freaking cheap that it lures people to shop there. The store should be blown to smitherines. And then Target should lower their prices. Because I love Target.
Next time I go to Disneyland, I will surprise you, btw. And I will buy you 2 churros.
i hate walmart too. but sure enough i go there as well. ditto to what bri said.. tried that too. YUCK. also i know there zip lock bags are so much cheaper but, when the kids keep sayin that there sandwich keeps falling out of there baggies... once again cheap. only ziplock for me! :)
ooh, yeah! If you like Cheetos, you can't go with any other brand for the crunchy ones. Puffs I've found are alright in other brands, but no one makes the original Cheeto quite like Frito-Lay!
Ha ha ha. I've been telling my husband for years that food is EXPENSIVE with a capital E and he keeps telling me to just shop at WalMart. Sorry, but I'm a Harmon's girl. I'd rather do without than buy Great Value Cheetos. Harmon's has the real ones on sale every now and again, buy some extra and put them in FOOD STORAGE! Cuz you have that huge house now that makes your budget so small. :)
Post a Comment