Sunday, August 28, 2011

Saying Goodbye...

Summer is over.
Well, the weather is still sweltering, it still stays light until 9:00pm, and snow cones and otter pops are still being consumed in abundance, but the lazy summer schedule has ended.
This last weekend, we said good bye to summer
and good-bye to Brian, as he goes to chase hurricanes. (Irene in particular).

We had a little weekend of fun in Park City. We shopped, we ate, and we shopped and ate. We slept in a small and somewhat gross motel, with an air conditioner that was reminiscent of an airline runway. (i.e. very LOUD). [Unsolicited advice: Don't go cheap in Park City]

We slid down really big slides.


We watched people do some really cool things.


And we enjoyed each other
.
Okay, well sometimes we just endured each other, but it was fun nonetheless.

Then we came home, and helped Brian get packed.
We had our back to school feast by candlelight.
Brian pushed the kids one last time on the swings.



He read them their goodnight books.
Played one last game of Tetris.
And had one last family prayer.
Tears were near.
Feelings were shared.
Hugs were given.


Love was here.

 
 Normally this time of year, I find myself writing about how we are sad to see summer go, and how we will miss it, but this year, I think everyone in my little family is too busy missing someone else so much more.


6 comments:

Marian said...

I don't know you, but I read your blog often because I enjoy your writing so much. This post made me tear up and I don't even know your family! What does your husband do to have to travel so much! Good luck!

Heather said...

Mel I am so sorry!!! We can atleast talk now cause you have 2 workIng phones!!! love you! Hang in there...

6deans said...

Loved your post. You are an amazing woman...I do not know how you do it without your husband. I hope he isn't gone as long this time.

Ashley Rae said...

Boooo!! Ugh. I'm so sorry. You'll survive, but I'm sure it will be freaking difficult.
I'm glad you guys could have some fun together before he left...

briana said...

we have a goal to see each other more than once this time while he is gone. GOT THAT MISSY?

briana said...

YO! the clock is ticking!