Tuesday, January 22, 2013

mornings in the library






When the last child walks out the door at 8:05 a.m., Porter, Luke and I start our mornings in the library.
We tackle a few books,
tell a few jokes,
color a few pages,
and squeeze in a few tickling sessions.

Porter is a boy who lives for routines.
Like none of my other children.
He needs our mornings in the library. He needs to read the same stories, he needs to color in the same coloring book, he needs Luke to play with the same toys.
Mornings in the library are slow. And Porter gets to be in charge.
He runs the activities like a drill sergeant.
On mornings when the others are home from school, we abandon our library time. It's not to be shared with the others. This is how he likes it. But after an extra long weekend or an extended break from school, I can see the relief in his face, I can hear the happiness in his voice when HIS library time is back. The world is set right again.
Soon, Porter will go to school, and mornings in the library will be over and he won't ever think of them again.

But I will.

I will always treasure our mornings laughing,
snuggling,
tickling,
learning
and being together.



4 comments:

melanie33 said...

well i did not know that happens

melanie33 said...

oh sorry this is hailey!!!!!!

briana said...

it's probably good that i work, because i would want to call and most likely, accidentally interrupt that special time.

we have libraries. bucket list...check.

talking about porter and school just seems wrong, but it will happen, i know this.

Heather said...

Garrett is a routine type of kiddo too! i love this library special time!! & seriously.... you are NOT talking about PORTER! these babies need to stop growing!

miss you girl!!!! We have loooooooooooooooooots to catch up on!
xoxo.