And they all wanted to hold him.
ALL THE TIME.
We had to set a timer so everyone got to hold the little one the exact same amount of time. Because if you grew up with siblings you know everything has to be fair and everything has to be measured or the crap hits the fan. Truth.
The baby fascination didn't let up all summer. Then fall came and swept three children off to school.
Suddenly all those hands were gone.
And that sweet little baby didn't know what to do with himself.
We and our family full of eager arms had created a monster.
School has been in session for 6 months now. And I still spend the my time holding the monster or putting him down and listening to him cry. Trying not to trip over him as he crawls after me, muttering, "mamamamamama..."
I smile. I know he got his way today, but I also know something else. I know that many, many days after tomorrow, when that giant monster baby grows into a young boy, he won't be crying after me. He won't mutter mamamama. He won't want to cuddle his mom. But I will have the memories of his tiny baby hands frozen with sleep
and the feel of his chubby arms wrapped around my neck burned into my heart. And I will know then that I got my way too.
1 comment:
you are so right. they grow so fast. i miss those days...
Post a Comment