Tuesday, August 25, 2009

in stitches...

In keeping with our theme of this school year, COURAGE, I decided to do something crazy. Something majorly courageous and intimidating. Something that required this old thing:


(I told you it was old.)

It was scary. I could barley recall how to thread the thing. Just look at how intimidating the presser foot looks:

It looks like it could decapitate you very slowly and painfully right?

But I pressed forward through the fear to make these:



and these:
And you know what the craziest thing is? I am pretty sure you can all actually decipher what they are....
PILLOWS!!
It's pretty cool.

Then the craft princess demanded to join in on the fun.
Hailey thought she had died and went to craft heaven learning a new skill. she went crazy sewing little pillows and messing around with the different stitches. As I sat with her, I realized that this sewing thing, is more than stepping out of my comfort zone to learn something, but it's also teaching my daughter. But most importantly, its giving me an excuse to spend time with her. A chance to let her babble at me to her hearts content... saying things like, "mom? camping would be SOOO much better if you could do it in a hotel." (to which I replied "AMEN". To which she asked me why I said that if we are not in church, to which I said, "I don't know", to which she said, "you're weird." to which I tickled her repeatedly.)



moral of the story? sewing in a straight line is like, cool.

The jury is still out though, on sewing with any sort of difficulty involved.

8 comments:

Michelle C said...

Good for you. and I can tell they're pillows too! :) I love the idea of a theme for the school year. How clever. I totally want to copy you! You have good ideas. Share more!

Heather said...

i lllllllllllooooooooovvvvvvvvveee
the fabric & i think they look awesome!! will you make me some for my couch.. i will send the fabric! :)
good for you.

Ashley Rae said...

Wow! Love the pillows. Who knew you could be so crafty. I should probably get my sewing machine out and shovel off the 3 inches of dirt that are lying on top of it... and maybe do something productive.

I think I was Hailey's age when my grandma taught me how to sew... and I loved it. Fun, fun.

briana said...

i just love that they look like scrapbook paper!

you don't give yourself enough credit. you carry more talent in your pinky finger than i do in my whole body! they turned out great.

i can't wait to see what else you try your hand at while your parents are away!

you are awesome!

Emily said...

There's yet another bonus to your craftiness: Every time you lay your head down on one of those beautiful pillows (not that you get a chance to rest much, but you know what I mean!), you can re-live your goofy-conversation-and-tickle-fests with your daughter. A practical, memory-filled, gorgeous work of art - what a great combination!

Val said...

I love that old sewing machine. Remember how much I borrowed it before I finally got my own. I absolutely love the pillows! Where did you get that fabic? You are so talented! Nice job! Maybe you can help me to make some for my couches. I despereately need new ones. Logan has sucked and spit up on the current pillows so bad, they are going in the trash.

mrsmckracken said...

Hooray! You added fabric to your life! Great job. In all the ways possible.

Macdonalds said...

I need to learn how to sew...or maybe pay you to sew me some awesome pillows.