Tuesday, September 8, 2009

too much of a good thing

One day last week when I was elbow deep in some family crafting time with my mother and sister in laws, Hailey came home and asked to have a friend over. A girl named Emma who had never been here before. I graciously said yes and her mom brought her over and we met briefly and made arrangements for her to be picked up at 5:30. Jonas played with the girls and it seemed like they all were having a great time. At about 5:10, the kids asked if they could go outside and again, I graciously answered yes. Whenever someone in this house mentions the word "outside", Caleb's ears perk up and he comes running. He decided to join the fun.
5:30 came, and I was still elbow deep in a craft, when the doorbell rang. I asked Brian if he would quickly call the kids in while I went to answer the door. The mom and I chatted for a little bit and Brian wasn't coming with the kids. I figured he must not have heard me ask him to grab them, so I told the mom to just hang on I would call the kids in from the back yard.

Only they weren't there.

Brian had been calling. They weren't answering. I called. No answer. My in laws joined in the calling; no answers.
It is at this moment I realized I had to go back in the house and tell that mom that I kind of misplaced her kid temporarily.
That was rather embarrassing.
Everyone then spread out searching for the kids, while I awkwardly tried to carry on a casual conversation with the mom who was playing it cool too, but I am sure was thinking how much she would like to give social services my name and number. After 30 minutes of calling and searching, Brian jumped on the four wheeler and head to the gully about half a mile behind our house.

And that is where we found them all, giant walking sticks in hand, going on a leisurely stroll through the fox invested gully.

Brian, in his meanest dad voice, told them to move it back to the house asap and rode back to tell us he found them. I looked at the mom and said, "Gosh, I am sorry I lost your kid.. he he. I am sure you will crossing Hailey off Emma's friend list."
She was very nice and assured me it was OK. and that Emma would call Hailey soon and maybe next time they could play at THEIR house.
Hailey has yet to be invited.
After they left, I lay into my lecture very politely asking the kids what was going through their brains. The thought didn't occur to any of them to ask permission. Hailey said half way through their journey she asked Jonas if mom knew they were doing this, and Jonas replied nonchalantly that I did not. She said she knew then she was in trouble but couldn't turn back on her own. So no one had an answer for me. Why would they do something so bold, so dangerous, so clearly against the rules?
I can only come up with this.



courage.
I am thinking maybe they caught the courage theme wave and rode it a bit too far.
I told them dad and I would have to talk about punishments and get back to them.
Brian and I decided to ground them from friends for the month and have each of them do an extra job for me every day for a week (like clean out the car, scrub the shower..). When Jonas heard this, he begged and pleaded to change the job part of the punishment to no xbox. (This works for him, because he plays xbox about three times a year.) I said that no, this punishment was going to stay. To which he dramatically stated this was THE WORST PUNISHMENT HE HAD EVER RECEIVED IN HIS LIFE.

Brian looked at me and said, "We are so not doing our job as parents."

We see now, that our theme, courage, needs to be had by us as as parents as we increase the severity of our children's punishments. Because there is just no way Jonas can have an angst ridden teenage existence if the worst punishment he ever received was an extra chore.

6 comments:

Heather said...

i'm sorry but i'm laughing about this just a wee little bit cause we just had the same conversation with cayden.........glad they were found!! ;)

Ashley Rae said...

Ugh... how freaking scary. If you can't find your kid for 30 seconds it is frightening. I can't imagine how awful it would be to not know where they are for 10 minutes!

Yes, I'm glad they were found and had courage. lol

6deans said...

I would have been crapping my pants if I were you. It is always hard having a new friend over but to lose them...crazy! I loved catching up on your blog this morning...you are entertaining as always :)

briana said...

courage? for the kids?

no, no, no. that is called courage for you, the mom, who had to face another mom and tell her the truth!

just sayin.

Jen said...

you both are GREAT parents. as I've observed parenting (since my guys are so little) I've noticed you have to step up as the kids get older and learn more tricks. (I"m not looking forward to that!) You weren't slacking. They're just gaining that courage, you could say, to do more and be more. You want that...maybe...not quite the way they did it! This will be a story they remember and joke about when they're older, I'm sure.

Michelle C said...

That is too funny. Well, not funny, but comical. I bet you were freaking out. Well, all was found and well though right? So... no harm done. I want to know where you're moving, send me an email and tell me. How fun. And not fun. I know how it is to move with a baby and it's the craps, but I'm sure you'll handle it with better grace than I did. Good luck.