So if you are like me, summer can feel a little bit like a battle. An ugly, messy, smelly one. In the past I have lost this battle and found myself with a messy house, 4 bored children, and a calendar counting down the days until school starts and normal life resumes.
My best piece of advice (I know you are just dying to hear it)is to schedule, schedule, schedule.
And I don't mean sign you and the kids up for a bunch of camps and activities so you become so busy there isn't a moment to breathe or enjoy. I mean something more along the lines of making a summer task list.
Give your kids (and yourself if you want) a daily task list, something for them (or you) to achieve. Make a task list that is helpful to you and fun for them.
Believe it or not, my kids look forward to this list every summer.
This is our list this year:
Get dressed
Make the bed
Brush teeth
Help mom
Create something
Read 40 minutes
Exercise
Feed your spirit
Learn,try, or practice something new
The kids are to accomplish all these things before any electronics are turned on (tv, wii, computer, or ds). The brilliance of this is most days they get so involved in something that they never get a chance to do the lazy stuff.
If you aren't already, try it!
Make a list.
Stick to it.
Simplify your summer schedule.
Sit back and enjoy.
I know you will.
Except if your children are wild demon monsters, because there is nothing to enjoy about that.
Part 3 tomorrow!
4 comments:
o.k. so i'm loving this. my kids are already jumping on the tramp. the kitchen is a mess. i'm stressed & it is only 8:45am. i am going to go get them do our list & maybe feel better about the day! keep it coming i'm loving all of this. oh, & the sweating at night i truly do hate this!!!! ;)
love you.
I like this. A lot. I think lists are sometimes the only way I get anything done.
note to self: put exercise on my list.
We just moved to Houston. A week ago. It is not only WAY hotter than Utah but so humid that it is literally NOT an option for the kids to go outside. So... I really need this. A schedule is the answer I've been looking for. So can you give me an idea of what your kids might do to meet the feed your spirit requirement. I should be smart/righteous enough to come up with my own ideas... but if you could help me out....
thanks.
Post a Comment