Friday, July 16, 2010

camp normal

Every child wants to be normal.
until they are a teenager and normalcy suddenly becomes too bland and the need to shock kicks in, and they are desperate for hair dye or torn clothes, or strange music... anything that will push normalcy far from their minds. (was that just me?)

But at this moment in time for the children in the Swanson household, normalcy is where they long to be.

Since November 19th of last year, Hailey has been struggling to earn that normalcy badge again. She is embarrassed of diabetes, and shots, and blood tests, and glucose meters, and that dang pink bag that carries it all:



She won't be seen holding it.
She won't be seen getting her blood checked.
She hates an audience with her shots.
She is mortified by diabetes conversations.

But yesterday, I took Hailey to diabetes camp.

A camp where everyone counted carbs like a religion.
A camp where a bell rang and everyone checked their blood sugar.
A camp where every girl had the same humiliating, scarlet letter pink bag.
A camp where she had fun and laughed and played and she felt normal.
A camp where she came home with treats, but also a sheet informing us of the carb count.

I could see that she felt included again, less alone, lifted up, heard, understood, educated, and empowered.


And when we left, Hailey carried her pink bag.

I am not going to lie, tears were involved.

10 comments:

Heather said...

tears are involved with me too. that is so sweet. she has such a big heart. i love that girl. i am so glad that she could go to camp!

do they have "normal" camps for 3 year olds??? let me know!

Emnacnud said...

that is so great, glad she could have such a great experience.

Jen said...

Yay for Hailey! (and Mom :)

Ashley Rae said...

Um, yep. Definitely made me cry. Thanks for that.
Hailey sounds like such an amazing girl :)

6deans said...

I remember my little sister going each summer to diabetic camp. She loved being around people that all had her same disease and she is still very good friends with a few of them. I am glad Hailey is getting used to it and that she realizes that their are others that have her same sickness and she is not alone. Yay for Hailey! Lets just hope one day they can find a cure...now wouldn't that be awesome?

Michelle said...

So cool. I love that they have camps for kids with chronic diseases. So nice for them to be with other kids who have to deal with the same things they do! Hailey is AMAZING and so strong.

Val said...

I am so glad that she was able to go. It sounds like it was a life changing event for her:)

Marian said...

I love to read our beautifully written posts. This one is so sweet. I have a younger sister who went through this, too, but at some point (well past the young teenage years) she just quit caring about what everyone else thought and lived her life. . . shots, testing, and all. Good luck!

briana said...

what a blessing for the both of you.

Kelly said...

We understand what you mean about Camp "Normal". Our autistic son Christopher goes to Camp K every summer and gets to be normal.
I'm betting my daughter's friend Rachel Brown went to the same camp as your daughter. Rachel is 14 and has been dealing with diabetes since she was 5 or 6.
Thanks for sharing your story.