Tuesday, July 27, 2010

paint by numbers

We have started counting in the Swanson household.


2 months of summer have almost come and gone.

18
things have been crossed of our summer to do list, with 10 more remaining.

54 days of summer have been enjoyed.

Corn has been shucked, steak has been grilled, the swings have been in motion. Swimsuits have stayed consistently wet. Hair has been sun kissed. Enough water has been used to start a drought. Giggles have been heard late into the night. Forts have been made and demolished and made again.

School starts in 31 days.

I am a little too excited to go shopping for pencils and notebooks and crayons and backpacks and shoes.
I am silently craving the quite morning routine I enjoy after the kids have been sent out the door for school.
The short rain storm yesterday made me giddy for fall.
And as I was shucking corn on the porch I found myself exited to bake pies.

All of that confessed, I also have to admit that summer is flying by a little too fast for my liking.

So I have decided to do nothing else,
to think of nothing else,
to anticipate nothing else;

to instead, just stop. Breathe. And enjoy these last few weeks of summer...
And those kids who make it all worth while.


But I swear the next kid who hits or yells is getting sent to school whether or not it is in session.

5 comments:

Ashley Rae said...

This is the first year that I have been excited for Kennedy to go back to school. I used to wonder why parents dreaded summer so badly. Now I know.

Will you bake me a pie? Razzleberry, please.

briana said...

dude, good for you. i don't even know when school starts. how sad is that?

Heather said...

can you do all my school shopping for me this year?? i would even pay ya! :) see you soon!

Jen said...

Summer sounds so nice when you put it like that! When your littluns aren't even in school, summer is filled with "just another day" every day. And I love it. I dread the day they start going to school because then they won't be all mine any more!

mrsmckracken said...

Ha ha. I laugh at this because what happens at my house is that after 12 straight hours of all five of mine talking at the same time every single day of summer I wonder who made summer up. I was so dying for school stuff when it rained. Like I was in Walmart buying markers I didn't need while the rain was pouring on the roof. Sad, isn't it?