A lot of people have asked me, how I am doing having my husband gone.
I always answer with some lame joke and a smile. I say we are surviving. And we are.
But being the proponent of people being real, I feel like that is not a totally honest answer.
I feel the need to take a dose of some reality medicine and share.
It's hard.
and it really sucks.
I laugh less.
There is a little emptiness felt in our house.
I have dropped a lot of things.
Taking pictures daily, blogging, exercise, creating...
I feel a lot of pressure to be both mom and dad when he is gone. I want to make sure that my kids don't have time to miss him. But by the end of the night, there is no hiding that we all miss him.
My patience is evaporated by 8:00 every night, even when I try to dig deep and find some, it's futile.
The funny thing is, logically, I know if I picked up those dropped things in my life, I would feel more energized and fulfilled, and that would probably go a long way to recharging my patience, but I cannot seem to muster the energy to do it all.
That is the reality.
It is also reality that talking to Brian on the phone is something I got very good at in high school, and he can quickly make me feel calm and connected with him.
It is also reality that I feel the love of all our friends and neighbors and family.
It is also reality that I am keenly aware every day, that I have no room to complain because I have the good side of the deal. Brian is the one doing all the hard work, the one that goes back to a hotel alone, and eats microwavable meals. He is the one that misses the smiles and hugs of his little ones.
It's also reality that a lot of women do this every day their entire lives alone, with no one to lean on or call at night.
It is also a reality that there are a lot of harder things to deal with in life than to have a husband out of town for a long time.
Like divorce.
Chronic illness.
Infertility.
Cancer.
Raising a child with disabilities.
Loosing your home to foreclosure.
And wearing socks with sandals.
And people near and dear to me are struggling with every single one of those things right now. So I can't feel bad for myself. I can't complain.
Not when there are people out there with socks and sandals on their feet.
4 comments:
see you still can make a joke out of the situation.. socks with sandels!!! ;)) now when you can't make jokes any more i will start to worry! :)
i know it is hard & i am so sorry. i wish i lived closer so we could go on lunch breaks & switch kids for a while!!! ;)))
love you. i need to call you. i KNOW you will pick up now since you have 3 phones!!!
Socks and sandals should never be tolerated. Ever. It's an abomination.
You are a very strong woman... Brian is lucky to have you. So are your kids.
And yes. I think that if you blogged more often, you'd get energy back. AND you'd laugh more because I'd have more opportunities to leave ridiculously HILARIOUS comments that would leave you rolling on the floor from laughter. Just think about it.
p.s you should be laughing cause i can't even spell sandals right?!?
just sayin....
reason umptillion why i love you.
always keeping it real and knowing when to laugh a little.
i just have to say...some mom's only make it until 8:00 am.
you are a rock.
people want to be you.
you got this thing.
you're making memories, living a life and doing the right things.
oh and i love ya again.
Post a Comment