Wednesday, October 15, 2008

in sickness...

Being sick puts you in this thick fog. The world goes on without you and sometimes the fog clears enough for you to see through it and peek in on the rest of the world. I have very foggy times and I have clear times; all in the space of a day. As much as I hate being sick, what I really hate is not being the same mom, wife, advisor, friend, sister, blogger, that I want to be. So until that moment comes where I am able to rejoin the world and welcome myself back to normalcy, I have to be grateful for little things.
Thing like:


My kids telling me to go lay in the bed they will take care of things. Then coming out to find chip crumbs all over the couch, toys covering every inch of carpet, and water droplets all over the floor from the pedicures they decided to give each other.


Or like the husband who can rarely physically be here, giving me flowers and the beloved DP so he provide a reminder of his moral support.
Or sweet moments from the resident monster.



After watching me throw up in the toilet and asking me 100 times if I was sick and me constantly affirming that yes, in fact mommy is sick, he grabs my hand, leads me to the couch. He tells me to be right back. He comes back proudly with his offering of a very dirty, but much beloved blanket and pacifier. He pushes them at my face and says, "Here. Now don't cry, k?" I take the blanket (try to ignore how gross it is) give him a kiss, and do my best not to cry at how much I love all the little thoughtful moments my family showers me with.
I can live with a little throwing up when I have these people around me.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Awww.. What a sweet family. I love the little Caleb moment.
Heres to hopin you have a good day! :)

Heidi P said...

Roses and Dr. Pepper...Now that is a good husband...

briana said...

i can't believe you are doing this without me! (seems we do EVERYTHING together!) remembering the days of hailey and berkeley, and our rapidly growing friendship.

all i know is that the sun better rise at 12 weeks.

end of story.

Heather said...

wow... love your family!

Macdonalds said...

Your family is awesome! I am impressed you have managed to get your camera out to document their thoughtfulness.

Ashley Rae said...

I give you a big fat A+ on raising your adorable family. You have trained them so well to take care of you. Good job :) Caleb is such a sweetheart...

Jen said...

Oh, they're so great! I agree that YOU trained them well by showing them a good example when they were sick. You're a great momma.

Lisa said...

I am so sorry you have been so sick. Only a few months left, right???? Yikes!!!

6deans said...

Oh Melanie...I hope you see better days soon. Pregnancy sickness is SOOO HARD!!! Thank Heaven for such cute little kids after it is all over. Those pedicures...PRICELESS!!!

Barry said...

Okay, you get HUGE props for putting up with pregnancy. In fact, women in general get a full round of applause from me for that. Good luck with the rest of it!

The Nelson Family Smorgasbord said...

I'm proud of you for finding the silver lining amidst the smog! Honestly, what would we do without our little families?...they truly are our lifeline!