Wednesday, May 6, 2009

7 days

I am not a huge fan of pain. Especially when I am the one experience it. And the thought of pain has been weighing heavily on my mind as I am getting closer and closer to the big labor day.
This aversion to severe pain is the reason I am so so grateful for the epidural.

I am a big fan of the epidural.

Bless the man or woman who created it.
Bless the Doctors who administer it.

I have enjoyed the epidural three times already and as much as I love and show my gratitude for it, I am terrified every time I receive one. It's honestly the worse part about giving birth for me. Every time I dread it for days in advance (which is about now) and until the moment the needle is in and working properly. (anyone else as crazy as me?)

I have been having strange labor dreams as of late which almost always include the epidural and on occasion Michelle Obama packing my hospital bag for me. (but that's another story).
It's been on my mind so much that today I sat down to the computer and...

I googled photos of an epidural needle.

I have no idea why I am so stupid. (maybe you could enlighten me). It immediately made me so ill and so nervous. Which means today I am in a constant state of sick to my stomach and I have no idea when that feeling is planning on leaving me.

If I had a husband in town, then I would make him take me to dinner and a movie to distract me.
But I do not and will not for days. So here is your chance to help me.

Distract me with something. Anything. I'm not picky.



And do it fast before I google "epidural horror stories".

17 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh. My. Gosh!!!
first, I can't believe Brian is still gone. He doesn't really need to work, does he?!
Second, Yes. That was dumb. But I have to admit, I did the same thing. Totally freaked myself out... But it all works out in the end... right?!
And third, go watch some old re-runs of the office. It always makes me laugh. And laughing is a good distraction. :)

Unknown said...

Just go natural---problem solved :) So 7 more days, does this mean the little ones coming on the 13th?

Ashley Rae said...

Michelle Obama? LOL. That is hilarious.

Um yeah. Distractions.... I watched Twilight again last night. Good movie. I'm excited for number 2. Not bathroom number 2. But the second movie.

And... You can imagine me in 7 days. I will be packing my bags to go to Hawaii. I will allow you to live vicariously through my incredibly exciting life.

Macdonalds said...

I can't believe you'd look up those needles. I told my anesthesiologist if I saw the needle I would run/waddle and hide. Stop tormenting yourself and relax. You will be fine. Think about holding that new little boy in your arms and all the snuggling, cuddling you will get to enjoy.

I agree with Sarah, watch some office episodes!

ps- what are the odds that the word verification to type in is dilated?

aimee said...

BTW that "tyler" comment is actually from me :)

briana said...

i'm pregnant.

briana said...

does that get your mind off things?

briana said...

no?

briana said...

good, cuz it's not true.

briana said...

put the kids to bed, order a pizza, buy the diet black stuff with lime, watch survivor and enjoy these last days.

briana said...

or you could just call me.

briana said...

just a thought.

briana said...

this is comment 13. you are due the 13th. i think i will stop here. that accounts for at least 13 seconds of distraction!

Kristie said...

I wish you the best with your delivery. From my experience the best way to distract yourself from the epidural going in is to be in so much pain that you don't care, as long as it is in! So I guess it is kind of a lose-lose situation, except for coming out of it with a beautiful baby boy. Okay that was not helpful at all. I'm sure the reality of it all will be much better than you are expecting. Good luck! Can't wait to see pictures.

Val said...

Are you crazy? Why are you tormenting yourself? Don't worry about it. Am I crazy? The epideral did scare me at all and didn't hurt. I guess I didn't realize that it hurts some people. Just concentrate on knowing that the pain is going to end very shortly. Good Luck!!!

Heather said...

counting..... he is almost here!
i can't wait to see pictures.

love ya.

briana said...

do you want to get out one last time before that little chilren gets here?