Tuesday, April 13, 2010

double digits




My first born is ten. For those of you who are not good at math, that means I have been with him for a decade. I have loved every single day with him, except for that one day where he took all the kids for a walk in the gully. Being ten is an interesting place to be. I remember being 10. I remember my thought process, and my feelings, and my deep disdain for my siblings, my yearn to sometimes be an only child(if you had my three older torturers, er I mean brothers, you would understand).

I feel like I get age 10.

10 is too old for playplaces,
but still young enough to enjoy the novelty of a balloon.

10 is old enough to stay up late,
but not old enough to watch what your parents watch (lost).

10 is too old to have girls for friends
but too young to have a girlfriend. (thank you, thank you, thank you...)

10 is too old for a babysitter,
but too young to babysit.

10 is old enough to understand some of life's harsh realities
but young enough to believe you will escape them all.

10 is too old for hugs and kisses,
but young enough to want to be tucked in.

10 is old enough to sometimes think you know it all,
but young enough to most times know your parents do.

I love 10. I am sad the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 raced by with a speed that has me wondering if I will remember it all. I know I won't. I know 10 will soon turn into 20 and that I need to count every day with my 10 year old boy as a blessing.

And I do.



I really do.

6 comments:

Ashley Rae said...

YAY! You blogged! Hehe

10... wow. He is so much cooler than I was at that age. His future looks good.

I love LOST. I don't really want it to end. But I know I'd be pissed if they never wrapped it up. That would be annoying.

Heather said...

what??? 10. that means i will be married for 10 years. & i will have an 8 year old real soon. i remember you had a 1 month old at my wedding. & you were pucking in texas & we thought you were just sick from the plane. where has the time gone. so many fun memories. i love you & your family. i will be at jonas's wedding. maybe cayden will even be his best man!!! ;)
see ya soon.
xoxo.

Danielle said...

Wow...I remember when the little guy was just born. Yikes that means I have ten years on me too. Way to go Mel for being a mom of 10 years...that in it self is an accomplishment.

Jen said...

Happy birthday, Jonas!

and wonderfully written, as always, Mel :)

Michelle said...

No fair....making me tear up in the morning! He is such a great kid!

briana said...

no way he is 10.
yes way he is 10.
no way he is 10.

REALLY?

that paci hiding, weezer singing, black drink sippy boy is growing up.

that means mine is too. :( SNIFF