Thursday, March 27, 2008

Because As A Sisterless Girl, Who Else is She Going to Share Clothes With?

I didn't have a Best Friend for Life when I was five. The closest thing I had to it was a neighbor named Sarah . I played at her house on occassion but she was never aloud to play at my house. I think largely in part because, on our little street in Kansas, we were known as the crazy mormon family with seven kids and who knows what those mormons could do? Maybe we would brain wash her or just steal her one day and keep her to ourselves, or worse... make her a childhood bride!! Needless to say she wasn't really a BFF. So I think I had to settle for my brothers. Which were really poor friends for a little girl. I mean I could only be She-Ra so many times, before I started wondering whether there was anything more in life. To date my oldest, still-going-strong friendship is with Brooke, whom I have known since I was 12. Seventeen years is a pretty impressive lifespan for a friendship, don't you think? But I have a feeling that Hailey will have me beat in this department. She is really starting young. Her BFF, Berkeley has been her BFF since the womb. For over 5 years, this friendship between Hailey and Berkeley has been strong, but it hasn't always been this cute. There was a lot of toy stealing and tantrums in the first few years, but now it mostly is all sugar and spice. Berkeley fulfills Hailey'd need to be understood; someone who really understands just how important glitter really is. And Barbies. And the color pink. And High School Musical. I hope they will continue their friendship through the years, and I hope they will always understand each other. Because I am sure I won't in 10 years.

3 comments:

Heather said...

That is so sweet!!! There is nothing like a BFF!!! :)

briana said...

To have known you then....feels like i have known you forever. I am glad they choose to be best friends. Otherwise, you know we would force the issue!

Merilee said...

Hey, thanks for your comment on my blog. It is funny how blogging connects people. I didn't know you had a blog. :)
Hailey's friendship with Berekely is so cute! It's awesome that she has such a good friend at this age.