[this week in honor of mother's day, I am writing about motherhood. This is really no different from any other week here on this blog that in 99% about motherhood already, but just play along, OK?]
Caleb has a problem. He happens to, as he always has, think he is the boss. He thinks he is the oldest kid; in fact, he has convinced himself that he is an adult and was born that way. He tells me he is big and won't grow up, but instead grow down. He is our own little Benjamin Button. While it provides us with lots to laugh about (we stifle the laughter until after he is gone), We have been trying very hard to make him understand that he is not in charge.
It has not really worked.
For example this morning:
[Caleb]MOM!!! Make my cereal now!! MOM! I Want my waffle RIGHT NOW!
[me, after reminding him to ask nicely] Just a minute Caleb, I need to finish making the lunches.
[Caleb] Sorry mom, but you have to listen to me and do it now. I'm in charge.
[Caleb] Mom! Don't let Porter touch the basketball! [speaking sweetly to porter] I'm in charge, OK?
[Caleb, speaking sternly to Jonas and Hailey] Kids, look at my face... it's time for you to go to school. Quick... NOW!
[Caleb, in response to my request for him to get dressed] No mom, I am not getting my dressed on yet. I am in charge."
It was at this point this morning that I decided to take the opportunity to have the "who is really in charge" talk/lecture for the 8,000th time, hoping that this will be the time that it finally sinks in.
Later, we are downstairs and Porter begins crawling towards the playroom. Caleb screams in horror,
"NO PORTER! YOU CANNOT GO IN THERE!"
I tell Caleb,
"Caleb, It's OK, I am watching him and I say it's OK."
Caleb goes silent.
He is thinking.
His shoulders begin to slump.
He sighs,
"OK, mom. I will let you be in charge."
He accepts defeat.
I am inwardly freaking out in triumph! He got it! It worked! only 8,000 tries! The point finally hit home!
As I am patting myself on the back for a successful motherhood moment, Caleb adds sternly,
"But just this one time, OK?"
8,001 here we come.
7 comments:
:) oh i love that kid... cause i think i might just have one too!!! :)
miss you already... sigh.
HAAAAAHAHAAA HAA HAAAA!!!
That's some serious funny :)
i got 3 words for you love and logic.
Always funny--especially when it's not your own.
He is quite a character isn't he. At least you know, life will never be boring.
OH, MY! I'm so worried about my little ones and who they will be....am I'm really going to bring another one into the world today?!! Thank goodness they're so darn cute and funny to make up for the other things they do :)
Ok, I can't seriously believe that you ever thought you were in charge. Even for one minute. Kids are definitely in charge. At least mine is. All the time.
Post a Comment