Saturday, August 21, 2010

Blue skies are here again

They are.
It has been a long few weeks full of work and absentee husbands, car troubles, floods (in our own house and in others as well), appointments, assessments,preparations, and shopping with four children. Let me say that one again: shopping with four children... but we survived.

And Saturday was our day to celebrate.
We celebrated a successful summer.
Days filled with field trips, water fun, trips to the library, friends, and yummy summer food.
We celebrated a dad home for the whole day. Or afternoon at least.
There was sight seeing, talking at accelerated paces, hugging, tickling, joking and general merriment. (yes, during celebration you may use words that have been retired from regular use in the English vocabulary).
We celebrated the end of our "courage" theme and talked about how everyone rose to the challenges in their lives.
We gave Hailey props for kicking every one's behind in the courage department this year, thanks to diabetes!
We celebrated the beginning of another school year by having our annual back to school feast.
The fancy glasses were taken down from the top shelf. The steak was cooked to medium rare perfection and the corn on the cob was as tasty as ever.
We celebrated the beginning of our new theme:



Focus.
We talked about what everyone can choose to focus on. We made goals. Oh, how I love goals.
We celebrated going back to school [insert hallelujah chorus singing praises here].
We had a back to school fashion show, that ended much like one a few years back. Then we settled down for father's blessings.

And then we, the 30 something parents, promptly crashed with fatigue from all that celebration.


There is a reason celebration doesn't happen every day.

6 comments:

briana said...

Ummmm just a few thoughts....

Where's porter?
Brian looks skinny!
Did you get a new camera?
Where are you? Set the timer and get in the picture!
Cute plates!
Yummy food!
Love the theme!

melanie33 said...

bri, a few answers....

porter is wandering around waiting fro scraps like a dog, because high chairs are the devil to him. i literally set a placemat and a bowl on the ground and he sits and eats.

Brian is getting skinny! That is what working until midnight does to a body!

No i did not get a new camera. i however have a phone that takes semi non blurry pictures.

I am behind the camera, where i should be.

thanks!
THanks!
and thanks!

Michelle C said...

I looked last night and this post wasn't on here. Now I know you did it. We're doing ours tonight, so i'll try to put some up on my blog later. Love the idea. Thanks!

Heather said...

wow. you amaze me each year with a theme! i love the idea. & good for you... you stick to it! that dinner is making my mouth water.
brian does look skinny.
why do i feel so fat
i miss you like crazy
i'm a bad friend cause i need to call & catch up...... i was waiting for you stomach to settle down though!!!
call you this week...
PROMISE!

love love love you!

mrsmckracken said...

Ok, so I stole your idea and last year our theme was patience. I asked at FHE who remembered it (Abby was the only one) and who learned from it (blank stares) so I introduced this years theme: Friendship. Made them write down three people to be better friends with. You can guess who is on my list that I embarrassed myself with last year? Yep, that's me.Such a great idea. I love it. Jeff's were all three guys in service. I think there's an issue there.

Jen said...

I love that you do this! I'm going to have to copy you in a few years and have my own day of celebration before school starts. Such a great idea!