Friday, September 3, 2010

Please and Thank you

As I mentioned a few days ago, Caleb and I have been reading up on manners. For some reason, being polite just clicked with Caleb and he has been
saying please and thank you and excusing himself every chance he gets. He has been basking in the smiles and attention he gets as a payoff for being polite.

We are patiently waiting for Caleb's example to rub off on the other kids (that is a sentence I honestly never thought I would write, by the way).

The other day I took Caleb to get some immunizations. Keep in mind that this child has seen his sister get about 7 a day for the last year. He has grown used to the sight and the thought, but not had any experience (that he can recall) with actually getting them. He asked me the classic question every child asks,
"Is it going to hurt?"

This is when I went through the classic war in my mind. Do I lie and say NO? Do I answer honestly to prepare him? Do I play it safe and say just for a second, or it feels like a little pinch?

I decided to answer with the latter.

When we entered the little closet-like office, he was calm and flirtatious, in other words, totally himself. He hopped up on the bench pulled up the legs of his shorts and grinned at the nurse. Cool, calm, and collected. She gave him the shots. He didn't make a peep. He took his sucker, (thanked her of course) and we were out the door. As we were driving away I looked at him in the rear view mirror and saw him wiping tears out of his eyes as he said to me,
"Thank you for taking me there, Mom."

You better believe that kid got a happy meal.

4 comments:

briana said...

he is a stud. period.

Heather said...

that melts my heart!!! what happened to him???? do you mean i might have a great kid in another year???? i will cross my fingers!!! :)

mrsmckracken said...

Sooo cute. :)

Macdonalds said...

That is really awesome! Way to go Caleb!