Thursday, May 19, 2011

inside my thoughts...

It's been a while since I have seen my husband. 5 weeks, I think.
He is away for work.
I don't really know when he gets back. It could be next week., next month, or in the fall.

My kids miss him.
I miss him.
At the dinner table last night we couldn't get over his empty chair. We talked about how we know what he would say.
We talked about what we miss about him.
We miss his guitar playing. Like a soundtrack to our lives, it's always there.
We miss Tetris Talk. (Tetris talk is where you play Tetris on mute for what seems like an eternity and you have in depth conversations about life.)
We miss his ability to fix stuff, cause I can't.
We miss his truck pulling into the driveway, because that means all the pieces to our family are here. That we are whole.

I can't really articulate it well, other than to say we miss his presence. That our family isn't complete without him, and our daily lives feel it.
It makes me feel for so many women who are the mother and father to their kids every single day.
It makes me feel for the kids who don't have a dad to wait for anymore.
It makes me feel for all the dads out there working for their families (or their country) who would love nothing more than to be home with their families.

Then it makes me grateful.
For so many thoughtful friends and amazing family members to help me.
For Skype and for speaker phone, helping us to feel like a whole family for a few moments every day.
For kids who are wonderful.
For a husband who will do anything for his family.
And for bedtime. I really really love the quiet that comes after bedtime.

And that's what I have been thinking lately.

Fascinating, really.

3 comments:

briana said...

it's funny. i miss you like you miss brian. seems wierd to say but its true. i can't articulate it, just like you said...i hate to say that i know how you feel, but i am so looking forward to VB and that chicken salad sandwich. come on next week.

it's all the little things.

a whole lotta love yas.

me.

Heather said...

ditto to what Bri said!!! i miss your guts. i am soooooooo sorry.x.a.million that you are having to go through this. i wish i was there. i wish i was having chicken salad sandwiches with you & bri. those are my fav.
i need to call you. i will.
know you are loved!!

xoxo

Val said...

what doesn't kill us makes us stonger, right? That stupid saying never makes me feel better either. I think the world of your family for enduring this. Hope this weekend you get the answer you were waiting for:) Thanks for being so thoughtful on my Birthday! I am truely blessed with great friends.