Friday, January 9, 2009

the absence of giggles

I am sitting in a hotel in sunny Arizona. In the spirit of sticking with my new years resolution of spending more time with my long lost husband, I decided to join him at a work conference in this lovely warm state to which I think I now belong.
We arrived yesterday and ate a lovely (and paid for) expensive dinner (graciously satisfying my craving for shrimp). We then retired to a very nice hotel room. (way nicer than my money would buy). Brian had a committee meeting so I got into pajamas and sat on a little couch.

And didn't know what to do.
It was quiet.
No one needed anything.
There was nothing to clean.
No one to feed.
No homework to do.
No dinner to make.
No dishes to do.
You get the point, right?
I asked myself what I always wish I could do in peace.
I went to the bathroom.
I took a bath.
I read.
I thought about my children.
I missed their giggles.
Then I rolled my eyes at myself because it hadn't even been 24 hours without them.
I called them.
I laughed.
I heard them laugh.
I listened to Caleb tell me all about his busy day of chasing his siblings with a pillow and listening to his report (in English that I can understand!) of what every single person was doing.
Then I hung up and cried.
I am such a pregnant mother.

But I promise I am having a good time.

9 comments:

Macdonalds said...

I love it! I know what you mean about desperately needing a break and then when you actually get one all you do is miss your kids. Giggles are the best too! Enjoy the weather.

Rachelle said...

You are a super Mom. At some point I guess it becomes not just something you do but something that you are.

briana said...

i hope you can enjoy your time away and come back feeling like you got the break you so desperately deserve.

Ashley Rae said...

Oh man, that is so cute. You are such a pregnant mother. But it is adorable. I'm glad you're having a good time in sunny AZ!

Cheryl said...

Wow! I am jealous. One quiet bath with no one sobbing outside the door....I can only dream. You are too funny about the phone call and crying session. I totally get that!
Oh- thanks for leaving your email address. You were one of the ones I didn't want to leave out!!
Enjoy the sun!

Jen said...

You'd better be enjoying it! How awesome that you get some time to do what YOU want for a change :) But I know it's hard to forget your kids. They're in good hands and you'll see them soon!

Merilee said...

That was so perfect! Can't live with them and can't live without them. haha. I haven't been away from my kids overnight yet, but I imagine that is just how it will be. Wondering what to do, enjoying it, but hating it at the same time. Pregnant or not. :)
We are mothers. You are amazing.

Michelle C said...

You're so funny. Not even 24 hours?!!! Amazing!

Heidi P said...

LOL. I so do that too. I go out on a date and play with everyone else's kids in the restaurant!!

Way to pee alone. I bet that was nice though....