Thursday, January 29, 2009

motherhood: in stages

I had a realization today. There are 4 stages of motherhood. Well at least four that I have experienced. And being the completely self involved person that I am, I am going to say that there are four stages. And that they repeat themselves as your children grow.
And because I am really not completely self involved I will share with you my wisdom and list the stages here in this fabulously interesting blog post...

stage one/child one: you think you have it all figured out.

Your kid is a great sleeper so you are sure you found the secret.
or breast feeding is a breeze and you pat yourself on the back thinking you did that all yourself. Or your kid never throws tantrums. You convince yourself that it is all thanks to your great mothering abilities. Life is scheduled with routines that are rarely interrupted. The house is clean, you child has shiny new clothes on. YOU have shiny new clothes on.
You stare in horror and those mothers who loose it on their kids at Target.

Stage two/child two: You see that you have nothing figured out.

Your second kid doesn't behave like the first and you realize that it was pure luck or blessing that you had a good sleeper, nurser or tantrum less kid the first time around. You realize that your children's habits have less to do with your mothering abilities and more to do with their little sprouting personalities. Life is scheduled but you rarely keep to it. The house is a mess but with a little help you can whip it back into shape every now and then. Your child's clothes are new but not as cute as they used to be since you are buying for price rather than look. Your clothes are no longer shiny and new.
You can empathize with those mothers who loose it on their kids in Target.

Stage three/three: You are wondering what is even going on.

You begin to think that maybe your KIDS are the ones who have it all figured out because as you are helping number one scrub off a bottle of permanent ink they decided to spill on their body, number two is crying because apparently you don't love her anymore, and kid number three is in the corner quietly and swiftly shoving fistfuls of sugar cereal in his mouth BECAUSE HE CAN. You begin to believe you have no mothering abilities. Your house is in a constant state of mess and deep clean is a distant memory. Your child's clothes are no longer shiny or new because they are all hand me downs that are perpetually a size to big or too small. Your clothes are stained with bodily fluids of your children and you don't even notice or care.
You ARE the mother that looses it on her kids in Target.

Stage four/child four: You realize that what you thought you had figured out doesn't matter anyway.

You begin to realize that nothing is ever thanks to you, but rather a blessing given to keep you sane. The tantrums don't even phase you anymore as they are a part of life with small children; you take it all in stride. You have long stopped worrying about when your kid walked or sang the ABC's because you realize it all works out in the end. You realize that good mothering has less to do with how your child eats or sleeps or when they reach the milestones, but how well they know they are loved and how well they know who they are, and that they love themselves. Your children run around in their underwear most of the time and you don't even bat and eye at it anymore. You have come to peace with the fact that the house (and your old clothes) will never be perfect but that it's good enough... just like you. You see that what really matters more than those things, is the quality time spent with your kids, the laughter, the learning, the growing, and even the trials, because they are all the little things that make your life uniquely yours and that is the best joy of all.
Oh, and you you don't even notice the mothers loosing it on their kids at target anymore.

9 comments:

Val said...

You are always good for a laugh! (but what you write is always so true) I am loving stage 1 and scared for the 2 and 3. I really like 4 though and am glad to have someone to give it to me straight at the beginning of parenting. Thanks for the heads up!:)

Rachelle said...

So funny. I would have to add in stage 1 that obsession with your kids development (your kids is walking and mine isn't) and how you change their diaper once an hour whether it is wet or not. By stage 3 - your hoping it takes as long as possible for your kid to walk and you only change the diaper if it is so full it touches the floor. anyway... thanks for the laugh.

Ashley Rae said...

Wow. Spoken like a true mother. I give you an A+. Although I can't say I've deeply experience all of those stages, I have grazed over each of them from time to time. Your kids are superbly lucky to have a mother such as you. Even if your that thar grammar sure do sucks sometimes.

6deans said...

Love it...you hit the nail right on the head. I still have friends that stress about their kids being ready for kindergarten. I figure with Sadie...no worries...the other kids have all been able to read by 1st grade and write their name...why do I have to worry about her doing it before kindergarten starts. Thanks for the reminder to just enjoy the stages of our kids because soon they will be grown and not need us as much anymore....and we will be watching their kids have tantrums at Target :)

briana said...

oh how we have talked and talked and talked about the stages! it is so true!

Macdonalds said...

Maybe that idea of a third child should be put on hold indefinitely for me...I like being able to deep clean. Very funny but true post! Thanks!

Heather said...

oh how i love you... then there are the people at wendys that think you are insane cause your child thinks salt & pepper should be in there frosty!!! :)

Cheryl said...

Too true. And I know I am in Stage 4. And I am pretty sure Ihave lost my mind. But, it is still fun to laugh at those that are in stage 1&2. Naps? Schedule? Who needs them?!
Oh- I am excited you are having a boy. Didn't you get the memo? Boys are way easier then girls? Wanna trade?

briana said...

dude i just got your email regarding this post! i am still laughing! i need to get with it and you need to answer your phone!