Thursday, June 4, 2009

through her eyes


My little brother got married yesterday. It was a busy day full of sunshine and happiness and family and all that good stuff. But being the mom of four, I was slightly overwhelmed. It was hard to get them all dressed up all nice and get them ready on time for pictures. It was hard to work everything around baby Porter's feeding schedule. But what was hardest was keeping tabs on Caleb.
We were constantly loosing the monster and we were constantly finding him doing really embarrassing things, like running through (and drinking from) a neighbor's sprinklers, taking pictures with some stranger's camera, tormenting a cat, tackling other children, and stealing bubbles to blow on the bride and groom from some elderly lady.
While I was thus occupied, Hailey enjoyed the fairy tale in her mind as she imagined life as a bride. She carried my camera around, snapping away all night, and when I got a chance to look at them this morning, I couldn't help but smile at her detailed eye. I am glad she really captured the day. Because all I would have remembered was chasing after Caleb as he ran way from me, laughing hysterically and shedding random articles of clothing and flinging them at people's feet.
Yes, it was THAT fun.

Here are her highlights:
This was just lovely to Hailey; first, because it was pink. And second it was scrapbooking on an extra large scale. Visual Heaven on earth for her.

Hailey couldn't get enough of the whole floating candle concept. I think she just might become a candle maker because of it. it should fit well with the pyromaniac inside of her.

This table was an utterly beautiful sight to her. This sealed the whole "weddings are the greatest thing on earth" deal for her. You get to wear a pretty white dress, be the center of attention, decorate with flowers, eat cake, dance with a handsome boy, AND you get piles of PRESENTS?! Life does not get much better in the eyes of a little princess.

I love this pic of my dad and Porter, his 19th grandchild. My parents will be leaving soon for South Africa to serve a mission and they will miss Porter's babyhood. So this picture got me right in the heart. (yes, I do have one).
This wedding was the highlight of Hailey's young life. Mainly because she saw for the first time what was in store for her one day. As she lay in bed that night, she started talking about her wedding day and wondering how soon she could get married. I explained to her, that she has to be an adult and has to find a good man that she wants to kiss on the lips and be with FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER.

That scared her off the idea really well.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Congratulations to Rick and Wife!!
And what good pics Hailey took. :)
And the pic of Porter and your dad really is adorable....
So they were called to South Africa?! Wow! When do they leave?

PS Why don't we ever get to see cute pics of yourself on this lovely blog of yours??

Rachelle said...

Cool. That looks like my parents backyard. It is isn't it? I didn't know your parents were going to South Africa. That is so great. Congrats to your brother.

Merilee said...

I loved this post! I was really cracking up at the end. :)
So cute. She is quite the photographer.
and, if you need someone to watch Caleb anytime, I would be happy to have him come play with Hayden.

melanie33 said...

rachelle- yeah that is your parents back yard... my apologies to your parents AND their neighbors.

Heather said...

love all the pictures... i'm with sarah i wanted to see a family picture of all of you as well. did you find an outfit???
the bride looked beautiful. also i love, love, love the picture of porter & your dad as well. it melted my heart too!!

miss you & can't wait to hold porter next month... i might take him for the month!!!

Ashley Rae said...

LOL... love the pictures and the commentary. We've told Kennedy she can't date until she's 20. And she can't get married until she's 30. To be sure this plan is followed through, we are making her wear bracesand head gear and really thick coke-bottle-bottom glasses.

briana said...

at the rate they are growing, we will be plannin weddings next year. where does the time go?

Jen said...

So cute, you're such a great mom. Hailey is such a girl, I love it! And you did well with Caleb - I don't know how you do it!?! I'm struggling just with 2! :)