Monday, May 24, 2010

4,015 days

That is how long I have been married. For those of you who don't have calculators for brains that is 1 day shy of eleven years. This fun fact has had me thinking a lot lately about me 11 years ago.
The year was 1999.
January treating me well.
I was enjoying my first cell phone.
(I didn't even mind that it was 10 pounds and had an antenna I had to pull out.)
I drove a sweet dodge neon.
(Don't be jealous)
My hair was growing out well from an unfortunate buzz cut.
(It was a near shaving, really)
I was enjoying my job at Allstate insurance.
(I received great life lessons from my meth addicted co-worker)
I had moved back into my parent’s house.
(Because free is good, and constantly drunk roommates are annoying.)

I had so much change in store for me.
And I didn’t have a clue that any of it was coming my way.

By February I was engaged. (WHAT?!)
By May I was married. (Even bigger WHAAT?!)
By August I was pregnant and puking. (The biggest WHAAAAT?! of all)

My adult life really began in 1999, and it happened so fast. So fast that sometimes I wonder if I ever really grew up. Am I really an adult? Don’t adults act more mature than me? There is no way they can like coloring with crayons as much as I do, right? I fully expect someone someday to call me out as an imposter. I wonder if someone is going to see through me and tell me I'm not grown up enough to be a mom and a wife.
All my worries aside, I stand amazed. I feel like it is almost inconceivable that little old immature me in 1999 could make the best, best, best decision of her life. I mean, I tried to shave my head. That is Brittany Spears kind of stupid, and we all know that is the worst kind.

The moral of the story for me? I am so not the one orchestrating my life. I can’t be. That should be obvious to everyone by now.

The moral of the story for you? Stupid people can make good life decisions too. That should help a few of you sleep better knowing that.

4 comments:

Heather said...

happy anniversary!!!!!!!!!!! 11 years WOW. try 10 years... even a bigger WOW for me! you guys make the cutest couple & i remember everything back in 1999 with you.everything! even getting me started with my own ins. through allstate!
love you girl

P.S. spears was cool back then. don't forget it! ;)

Merilee said...

Happy Anniversary!
You shaved your head?! haha

Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary! We are getting old aren't we? YIKES!!!

Michelle C said...

That's so funny. I totally remember half of that. I know your drunk roommate (sorry about that), I rode in your neon and I remember you talking about a waitress who cut her hair that short and you decided to do it too. Well, fun times. How much can change in 11 years! Congrats!