Friday, March 11, 2011

Things I know for sure: 3

I like Writing.
English was always my favorite subject in school.
In college I once took 3 English classes in one semester because I loved writing papers.
True story.
I like grammar.
I am not an expert in English and I am not an expert in grammar, but I do know a tiny bit about them.
And I have a pet peeve that pertains to the English language:
When people use words that aren't really words.

I know the following words aren't words. FOR SURE:
1. There is no such word as "acrosst". You don't go acrosst a bridge. You cross it. Promise.
2. "Irregardless". Not a word. It's redundant and annoying. And makes you sound dumb when you are trying to sound smart. Don't use it. Regardless is the word to shoot for.
3. "Anyways". Nope, not a word. It has never been a word, and saying it makes you sound like a 13 year old. Stick with "Anyway", the actual word.
4. When someone is retelling an experience and something happens suddenly, and they say, "All the Sudden", I can't listen to the rest of what they are saying because I get stuck on the fact that "all the sudden" is not a phrase. It's "all of a sudden".  Trust me.
5. "Supposably". You should not be saying this fake word if you are over 5 years old. Supposedly is the word you are looking for.

I know these things for sure. I also know for sure that I am the queen of spelling and other lame grammatical errors on this blog and that is because I am too lazy to proof read the words that spew out of my head and onto the computer.
Seriously, you are lucky I make sense half of the time.

So don't worry I won't hold your grammatical errors against you if you don't hold mine against me.

I ain't lyin..

6 comments:

briana said...

i EXSPECIALLY hate all those things.

for REALS.

briana said...

you and i are so simular.

literally!

briana said...

it's all the same difference.

phft.

briana said...

how about hisself or theirself?

i could go on...

Heather said...

crap... i think i say anyways.. hope you still love me. thanks for the english lesson 101 for me. i loved english too. i don't think i was that great at it though!!! :)
xoxo

Sarah said...

Ha ha haaa! I totally say anyways. What a complete lame-o. Sorry ;)