A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy. ~Edward P. Morgan

The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it. ~James Bryce

A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958
"I love libraries. I love books. There is something sacred, I think, about a great library because it represents the preservation of the wisdom, the learning, the pondering, of men and women of all the ages accumulated together under one roof to which we can have access as our needs require." Gordon Hinckley
I know this for sure:
Every home ought to have a spot for reading.
Every home ought to have a special spot for it's books. I love looking at people's shelves.
You can learn everything you need to know about a person by the books on their shelves.
Books teach us, enlighten us, speak to us, speak about us, take us places, and make us laugh.
There just isn't all that much in the world better than a good book.
What's your favorite?



5 comments:
Is it a bad thing or a good thing that my "library" is full of cookbooks? If you can tell a lot about a person by their library people must think that I love food or that I'm a total freak.
I love all of those quotes! I want to have a library room too.
My boys and I just read one of my favorite childhood books. "One Morning in Maine" They both LOVED it too. I love sharing books with them that I read as a kid.
I love reading. I just wish I had more time to read. Stupid work. Stupid, stupid work. Those are some good quotes.
anything by compendium publishing. those are my favorite right now.
don't come to my house & look at my bookshelves.... mine consist of pottery barn, US weekly & people magazine. does that count??? ;)
Post a Comment