Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Evening the score...

Brian has always spoiled my fun. okay, maybe that's a little too general... what i mean is, that Brian has always spoiled my fun when it comes to determining the gender of our unborn, growing children. every single time he has "known" and every single time i think i "know" and he is ALWAYS right. (my comfort comes in knowing that I am always right in every other area; no, seriously! I am. I am one of the rightest people ever! just ask him..)
Anyway with this baby I am currently cooking, I decided to abandon all hope of guessing and leave it up to him. I asked him what are we having? he has no clue. What? since when Mr. Know It All? After repeated inquiries I gave up and resigned myself to a state of unknown which has pretty much been torture for me...
until today.
we had our ultrasound.
The lady squeezed the warm jelly on my gigantic stomach and got to work. Right away she told us. we had a pink baby, she said. I was excited but thrilled for Hailey. Then she started saying, "oh, no...oh no oh no." To which I started freaking out. She quickly assured me that it was not a bad oh no. At this point I am wondering what exactly is a good oh no in this situation?
Brian pipes up. Confident. Sure. He says,
"It's a boy."
She says yes, she spoke too soon. It was a boy. She apologizes profusely. I feel confused. We leave.
Brian says in the elevator, the moment she said it was a girl, he knew she was wrong. He had the strongest feeling. He was sure at that point this little baby was a boy.
"oh." I say. But what I think is that it's a little too convenient for me. Now he can say he knew what every baby was before me.
But you know what I have on him?
I think he has forgotten, but in order to get his way on the spelling of the last child's name. (I wanted Kaleb, he wanted Caleb) he signed over full rights to naming the next one to me. (He thought we were done.)
So I smiled to myself the whole ride home. Let the name war begin.
Any suggestions?

11 comments:

Danielle said...

yeah...another boy! you are in for it...more mud! you have the cutest boys...and girl for that matter. feeling better?

Jen said...

Wahoo for boys! - sorry Hailey :(
I'm so excited to have another nephew! And Caleb will have a partner in crime in his very own family now - one to pass on his ingenious ideas and fun pastimes because Sam, George, and John just aren't enough :)

I'm excited for your family, Mel!

6deans said...

Congrats!!! It is always so fun to find out what you are having...although I think that was rotten of the ultra sound tech to get your hopes up for evening the score. I guess you will just have to try for one more!!!

Sarah said...

Although I was rooting for a girl, it doesn't mean I am any less excited for you. Congratulations!!
Bring on the boys, eh?!

Merilee said...

Congrats! That is pretty crazy that Brian is able to tell like that.

Lisa said...

Congratulations!!!! And I'm sorry to Hailey. Just remind her that she will be very spoiled.

briana said...

yeah for halfway, being able to function daily, and a healthy baby boy! and my vote is to name him after bri!

Macdonalds said...

Another boy, how fun! Being an only girl has it's rewards Hailey! Congrats! I'll be thinking of some names for you.

Ashley Rae said...

A baby boy?? Congrats!! I'm excited for you! That's what we want, next (NO I'm not pregnant and I hope I don't become so in the next little while). Names? Hm... I've always liked Xavior or He-man. But then again, you don't want his name to be too common, so maybe you should pick something else. Like... Mason? I don't know. That's the first name that popped into my head, after Xavior and He-man.

Michelle C said...

I love boys! That's so exciting. Can't wait to see what he looks like.

aimee said...

Congratulations Mel. There is something special about those little boys. Hailey will just be spoiled and there is nothing wrong with that.