Monday, September 1, 2008

Wanted: your opinions


OK, first off, I just want to say stick with me through this post. I really want some opinions on this.
OK, so bad news... I am talking politics. Wait! Don't go! I am not going to go off on some random tangent about something.
Let me start with this: I hate politics today. It all seems like one big fake argument for argument's sake. This upcoming election has seemed really depressing to me because I have felt like I have no one to back. No one that I want to see as President of the country I live in, that my children live in. So I have pretty much ignored it. I am just too sick of fake people pretending they want what's best for the American People when they really want what is best for themselves.
Fast forward to Friday. My husband, knowing my disdain for the two candidates running, excitedly asked me if I heard who was selected as the running mate (that is a cool term for vice president. I am SO knowledgeable.) for John McCain.
I was like, "um no, and i don't care. but thanks for asking. what did you have for lunch today?"
And he was like, "no! mel! It's a woman! No, I mean like, a mom! You'd like that!"
And I was all, "OK Bri, I am hearing this from what you just said: Translation: being as you are like a real mom type woman, i am sure you would vote for someone just because she is seems like a real mom type of woman, because you are so dense you would vote for whatever looks like you without making an educated decision.
Then I'm all, "So, is that what you are telling me?"
And he, rather exasperated by me, (it's OK, he gets that way a lot with me. I can tend to be a teensy weensy bit exasperating. So I am told.) says "please just Google her, and read about her for me. Tell me what you think."
So I did.
And here is what I think:
This woman, Sarah Palin, a wife to a blue color oil worker, mother of 5 kids, one of which is serving in the Army and on his way to Iraq, was pretty cool. I watched her speech, and it seemed to me one of the most real political speeches I have ever heard. From what I read about her she seems like she is really just out to do the right thing, which was really refreshing and she had me thinking, "Could I vote for her for president?"
But I haven't really studied up on her, so who knows if what she says is all a bunch of crap; I wouldn't be surprised if it is. I was just wondering what you all thought of her.
So, your homework assignment today boys and girls is to watch the speech (fast forward to about minute 10:30) and tell me what you think.
And don't worry, I grade on a very large curve.

10 comments:

briana said...

ummmmm, when is this assignment due?

briana said...

wooo hooo, i was the first again!

Jen said...

I dont think I could sit through a political speech - shows how uneducated I am! But I agree with you, I don't feel like I could vote for any of them. They seem so full of bunk that I can't believe ANYTHING they say....hence why I can't sit through a political speech. They usually don't even write their own words, and if they did, who knows if they're heartfelt???

Amanda said...

I also heard the speech on friday and found myself excited about Gov. Palin. I really liked a lot of the things she had to say and hearing about what she stood for. What is crazy about her is that she started out in the PTA! Quite the political climb! I understand what Jenn is saying, it is pretty much impossible to get a true idea of who a political figure is because there is so often a lot of bunk as she said. Though since I have been feeling the same as you Mel about this presidential race, it is nice to see even a small glimmer of hope with this woman. Yes I do think that McCain was desperate and had to shake things up by choosing her and that she will get a royal beating in the media (there is an article on msn.com), I just hope she can stay bright as that glimmer.

PS: Remember, I can't actually vote, so my opinion means nothing really, but Dave was excited about her as well, so he will vote :)

Heather said...

i don't know about her....
i'm sorry to say but, i'm for Obama..i hope lightning didn't just strike me.
I'm like you i {DON'T} get into politics what so ever cause i would totally loose in the fight.. but i really like Obama more than McCain. {i hope}

Macdonalds said...

I really like her,she is full of integrity and that doesn't pair with politics often. I was surprised by McCain's choice, but agree with Amanda and see a glimmer of hope.Anything is better than Obama.

Ashley Rae said...

I think she is a wonderful person. She seems like a great mom. As far as politics? She is not what I would envision as someone who could potentially run our country. The one thing that bothers me about her is that she's totally allowing her pregnant teenage daughter to get publicly embarrassed and humiliated. I'm sorry, but wouldn't you want to help your daughter feel a bit more protected? Maybe not. Just me.

Again- back to the political part the only political experience she REALLY has is 18 months as governor. She seems like an EXCELLENT woman and very passionate. Just not what I'd want for the country. :)

As far as the candidates, I don't want to get rebuked either way so I'll keep my mouth shut. LOL

Rachelle said...

I think I like her because I can relate to her. She is the real deal.... she's a Mom. Not like a Mom that has a token kid so she can add it to her list of accomplishments... but a Mom who has 5 kids because she values families. She got involved in politics for good reasons. I'm a little freaked out about how she has so little experience and is as the media keeps saying "a heartbeat away from president." But her lack of experience is also refreshing... she is hard and crusty and cynical like lots of politicians. Anyway.. I'm babbling. I like her...
I also liked Caden's post. Send him my compliments. Adorable.

Rachelle said...

I mean Caleb... sorry.

Brooke said...

I don't know. I was surprised by the choice, like so many others... and I have to be honest and admit the first thing I thought was, "Oh, it's because he's sleeping with her." Great attitude, I know.
She seems much more real than the other candidates for office. More down to earth and grounded. Beyond that, I'm still struggling. I don't think I'll know what I want until I'm in the voting booth.