Thursday, September 4, 2008

So it begins...

After much anticipation, and much debate over what to wear, it came. THE FIRST DAY OF KINDERGARTEN.

The girl could not have been more excited. She really couldn't have and stayed in tact. The grin was busting off her face. The oatmeal was consumed without tasting it. The clothes were put on at light speed, but the glitter lip gloss, well that took a whole 5 minutes. Because you just cannot be careful enough when it comes to lip color, can you? Whose daughter is she anyway?
I gave her lots of advice yesterday morning. Advice I am sure she didn't care about and didn't remember 2 minutes after I said it, but she smiled and nodded at the appropriate times anyway. She knows the way to her mommy's heart. Fake attention. Nothing better than that.

I told her to be nice.
What I meant was, watch yourself and do not think you are better than anyone else.
I told her to listen well.
What I meant was drink in everything you are taught. you are building a foundation, build it strong and well.
I told her to look for the girl that everyone seems to ignore and ask her to play.
What I meant was, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, because one day you just may be the girl who feels invisible.
I told her to be brave.
What I meant was, I know how much you want to turn into yourself, but please let the world see your beauty.
I told her to have a good day.
What I meant was I love you, I will miss you, and how did you get this big?
And you know what? She really did.

13 comments:

Jen said...

Wow! How unbelievable that the day has finally come! Hasn't she been looking forward to it since before Jonas started school? Yay for Hailey!!! (I love those pics :)

Lisa said...

What a great day!!! I'm sure she is so thrilled!!! She looks so grown up.

briana said...

it makes me want to cry knowing how much time has passed since we could be caught puking our guts up carrying those little ones. seriously.

Sarah said...

She seriously does look soooo excited. Very cute!!
and I love the shirt you picked out, Hailey. Lookin' good!!

Ashley Rae said...

That is perfect advice. You are raising a fabulous daughter. Although I have no clue where she gets her super duper girliness from- but it's cute, anyway!

Five Point Restoration said...

Great post mel. Almost made me cry a little...

Val said...

Cute girl, I see her mother in her(not the lip gloss though)! She is so grown up and is such a little lady. I hope she loves school!

Rachelle said...

I'm with you. My little girl started preschool which I need to post about.... but it happened all too fast. And oh... I hope she isn't the bully in the class or rude or anything else... I hope she shows everyone else all the good stuff I get to see (on occassion).

Macdonalds said...

That is great advice, you really are a great mom. Hailey looks so cute. I'm glad that she is excited for school.

Liz Morrey Romrell said...

What a cutie! I love her shoes. I can't believe she's already in Kindergarten. I think the last time I saw Hailey she was still in diapers.

Danielle said...

she is soo cute. i will talk lipgloss with her anytime.

Merilee said...

K you got me a little choked up! Can you give me lessons on how to be a good mother? please. :)
She is so adorable, and I love that she is so girly. So funny about the lip gloss.

Michelle C said...

OH my heck she looks so much like you. I haven't looked for a while with my computer being dumb and all. ANyway, crying baby so I'll have to catch the rest later.SHe's really cute.