Wednesday, November 19, 2008

gratitude post 2 : perspective

8 years, 7 months, and 7 days ago I became a mother. A young one. I was 21 by a hair. I was thrilled, in love, and terrified all at the same time. I wanted this little baby, I knew I needed him and he needed me. On the drive home from the hospital, as we pulled into the driveway however, I could not face that I was going in my house as a mother. I was scared to be alone without the help of nurses or mothers. I told Brian to drive to his parents house. So we spent a few hours there before I could work up the courage to go home to my new life.
I did go home eventually. Brian went back to work and I set out to be the perfect mother.
Only it didn't work.
I clipped his fingernail and made him bleed.
I couldn't get him to nurse.
I couldn't get him to sleep anywhere but in my arms.
I was tired and not always happy.
So I drew my conclusion: I was not the perfect mother I was supposed to be. I totally wasn't my mom. I never saw her go through this. She seemed to handle everything as a mother like it was a walk in the park. So I figured I would just try harder.
Brian fit right into fatherhood. He did all the right things; he knew all the right things to say.
I felt like a square beg in a round hole.
One night I was overwhelmed and just sort of broke down. I vented to Brian that I wasn't being a good mom. I was failing. I couldn't make bread! I could barely make dinner! I slept in the day! I fed my baby formula! I made him bleed! And the biggest guilty secret of all: I wanted a break!
Brian, trying not look at me like I had worms crawling out of my ears, said very calmly,
"I think every mom feels this way."
To which I promptly told him that no, he was in fact wrong. My mother NEVER acted this way.
To which he promptly replied, "You are not your mom. I didn't marry your mom. I married you. Melanie. Do you remember her? I think you need to go out and do something. Take a break from the baby. You will feel better."
I did. I went out with some friend, (likely one of you that is reading this now), and I felt better. I felt like Melanie again. The only difference was that I added a child to my life. My husband's peptalk made me realize that becoming a mother didn't mean I had to loose myself and be my mom. I just needed to be Melanie the mom and everything would work out.
And it has.
My children are perfect and brilliant and I no longer make any mistakes.
Ok, so that's not exactly true... but I am comfortable in my role and I have my husband to thank in helping me get there. I am grateful for his way to talk me down from a ledge. Every single time. And for his willingness to let me take the breaks when I need them.
Oh and I need them.

7 comments:

Heather said...

serioulsy i don't know what my problem is but, i'm so crying right now.. i truly think we all have felt like that...
i love your honesty, your writing, your special spirit, you are beautiful.. i wish i had your complextion.{don't we all}
ummmmmmm you so cook like your mom though!!!!!! :) yumm i love your chicken salad!!!
i'm love reading all of these posts... it makes me motivated!

briana said...

it never ceases to amaze me how alike we are. it is like we were twins separated at birth. i have learned that we compare our worst to everyone elses best and that all of our talents are different. with that said, you are an incredible mother, wife and friend. i planned on starting my gratitude posts this thursday, by then, you will have said it all and then i can just say "ditto"!

Five Point Restoration said...

thanks for making me feel like i actually make a difference every once in a while. you really are the best mom and wife on the planet.

Ashley Rae said...

Just so you know, I think that EVERY mother I know has felt like that. Especially my friend Ashlee who has twins. And I felt that way. As long as your kids are fed when they're hungry, you're a good mom ;).

I'm glad you found Melanie. I SERIOUSLY believe that our girlfriends help us maintain our sanity in life.

And holy crap. Tell your husband to call my husband and give him some pointers. He seems so sweet!

Sarah said...

Im happy Brian is able to help you see what the rest of us all see.... That you are a super duper great mother!
And I can't wait for you to be a mommy to a new little munchkin....
BTW, how far along are you now?? I can't wait to find out what your having!

Rachelle said...

You have an amazing talent of articulating the experience of ALL new Mom's. Somehow during labor, we manage to give birth to not only a new little baby... but a large dose of GUILT. It seems to affect all of us. I have no doubt that you are a fantastic Mom.

Jen said...

Thank goodness for those breaks! I'm glad my little bro. is a good husband and helps you see how amazing you are and lets you get your time in. I lucked out with a good one, too, who lifts me up when I feel down and takes Sam when I've about lost it. :)