Like I stated a few posts ago, my husband and I had rather different upbringings. His favorite movies were spaghetti westerns, Man from Snowy River, and all the macho action movies like Rambo and Rocky and anything else with lots of ammunition firing around. My favorites were slightly different; ordinary people, the secret of roan inish, sense and sensibility.... the list goes on. Of course we did have our neutral ground movies: Fletch, Better off Dead, Princess Bride, Happy Gilmore... But when I wanted something with substance, I was on my own.
Once I tried to get Brian to watch Steel Magnolias. I just remember LOVING this scene. I wanted to show him the incredible acting and the honesty depth of that moment. He didn't make it past the first 15 minutes.
He tried to get me to watch several john Wayne or Clint Eastwood movies. I was promptly asleep before the first sound of gunfire.
But I have been successful on occasion. I have coaxed him into a few foreign films, and independent films that he has come to enjoy.
But when it comes to Jane Austen, well, I just knew I would never see that day. And I accepted that. But this last weekend Brian said to me,
"How would you like to put the kids to bed and watch Pride and Prejudice tonight?"
After I realized that their was no punch line, I frantically searched his eyes for some sign that aliens did indeed exist and they had come and taken my husband away from me. They had not. He was serious. I replied quickly yes, before he could rescind his offer. I ran to get the movie. (OK in my delicate state running would have induced the V word so really by running I went walking very quickly) I found the movie, got blankets, and ice water. I cracked the case open and the disc was gone.
It was nowhere to be found.
I plan on trying to rent it soon, by I just hope his moment of generosity will have not passed.
So anyway, today I am grateful for a husband who cares enough to try and watch the chick flicks with me; even if he knows he won't enjoy himself in the very least. He knows I will.
7 comments:
i guess if you are gonna watch a chic flick without me, it's ok since it is with brian. :) if the moment passes...we must watch it. you know i still haven't seen it!
I really have a lot of empathy for you right now with the whole movie thing...seeing as our husbands are brothers and all. He records guy movies and comedies for us to watch together and I record movies that I like, guess under which circumstances I am watching alone :)
On another note, I just found out Wicked tickets go on sale Dec. 12th!! Finally!
Aw, how cute. And I've actually never seen that movie. AND I've never read a Jane Austin book. *gasp!* I know.
I'm lucky that my husband likes cheesy movies. He would totally watch Steel Magnolias- he actually has. One of his favorite movies is Fried Green Tomatoes. But that is so nice your hubby was the one to suggest watching it! What a shocker.
(I'm glad you're posting more often!)
Are you sure Brian didn't set that all up?? You know, make sure the disc was gone first and then ask you??
Just kidding. I know he would never do that. I hope you guys find it soon. I LOVE that movie. Way to be a good influence on Brian. :)
i know what you mean by that.. cause guess what, my husband is going with me on Sat. to watch TWILIGHT!!!! :) i pray he likes it!!!
Maybe caleb got to the movie first since you stole his "CARS" movie!!! ;)
{just a thought}
love ya
I love Steel Magnolias! I've been meaning to read the Jane Austin series...one of these days. Brian sure is sweet. I hope you find your movie!
Ah, that's so sweet! good for Bri :)
Post a Comment