Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The last Gratitude post, I promise: Hailey



Anyone who knows this girl, knows she is a girl through and through. Anyone who knows me, knows how I have needed some help in this department. I think Hailey came to me to ignite my desire to get in touch with the girly side buried within me.
And I think she has done a great job.
Since I have a had my daughter in my life I have had a few pedicures, began waxing my eyebrows, grew to see pink for the lovely color it is, and I have thrown a princess party. I understand that I still have things to work on (hair styles, a larger collection of purses or hand bags or whatever the fashionable way to say it is, and the whole enjoying shopping thing), but the point is Hailey is succeeding in her life's mission: making the world a more gloriously girly place to be.
But there is something more Hailey wants to accomplish; there is a desire deep within her to impart her wisdom elsewhere. Not to mom, not to friends, not to aunts or other family, but to a little sister.
Hailey is aching for an apprentice. Her very own little shadow that will look up to her and beg her to touch her pretty sparkly things on her special shelf. She wants someone who feels as passionately about barbie as she does. Someone who is her little princess.
Hailey is praying for the upcoming addition to our family to be a girl. In her lowest moments she has told me in despair that if I didn't make this baby a girl, she would never talk to me again.
While I want Hailey to have what I never did, a little sister to love and adore, and as much as I want to even the gender score in our house, I don't think it would be all that bad if that little girl doesn't come to us.
Hailey is my daughter. I am so grateful for her in my life. She is pure joy and light. She is my shadow and I am hers. She is my cuddle buddy. She is my shopping partner, my crafty friend, and my baby shower enthusiast. While she may not always want me there, I will be. While she may not always want to tell me, I am here to listen. While she may grow to be embarrassed of me, I will always be proud of her, my daughter.
Hailey has filled my cup of expectations for a daughter. Adding another one would just be extra icing on the cake.
Now, if someone could explain that to an almost 6 year old...

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Mel, you are such a good mom! I hope one day your kids can read the sweet things your write about them and remember without a doubt that they are loved.
I can't wait to do all of the fun girly things with Grace!

Heidi P said...

Very cute, she is so pretty. Sisters are the best! I hope she will forgive you if this one is a boy :) good luck with that.

And yay for you for finding your inner girly girl! :) Mine, unfortunately has only gotten worse with age. I am so going to be the old grandma with every piece of jewelery she owns on at a time. :)

Ashley Rae said...

Ok, you are so cute with your kids. I am sure that Hailey will LOVE reading what you've written about her. She's a lucky girl as you are a lucky mom!

Macdonalds said...

At some point I forgave my parents for never giving me a little sister and I learned to really love my brothers. (warning , it took a long time! I think in a way my brothers helped me be the mom that I am. I sure love my boys!)Hailey will forgive you if that is the case. Being the only girl was actually kind of nice-I never had to share my clothes, or my room.
You are a great mom!

Heather said...

o.k. so i don't know why i'm crying... but, i just loved what you wrote about H. maybe it is that time of month & i cry about everything!!! :) So i will let ya know about the black eye thing... hopefully it won't happen ;)
or there will be H@#*#*^ to pay!! :)

love you

6deans said...

What a cute post!!! You are lucky to have Hailey...she is so lucky to have you as her mom!!! Happy Thanksgiving.

briana said...

howdy! oh, how i can relate. i love that little girl! and i am so happy to have someone to stumble through the pink with!

Merilee said...

I have been bad at commenting, but I have loved your gratitude posts. I love the way you write and express these things. I wish I could express my feelings the way you do.
Happy Thanksgiving!!

The Nelson Family Smorgasbord said...

Oh Melanie, you simply MUST compile all of your posts and have a book published! That girl of yours is your exact mirror image!! You are an amazing mother and your little ones are blessed to the moon and back to have you!! Thank you for sharing such a beautiful tribute. You took the words right out of our mouths!....although mine would never come out quite as eloquently as yours!:-)