My husband and I have had our share of disagreements. We have the standing disagreements like whether Rush Limbaugh is the biggest annoying hypocrite to walk the face of the earth or a wise and educated man (he's not!). Whether or not to have guns in our home is one that creeps up every now and then; there are also more important disagreements like which way the toilet paper roll goes on the hanger, and exactly what daily actions and tasks deserve a back massage.(that's a big one).
Our first fight was on our way home from our honeymoon. I was starting to stress over all that needed to be done to put our house in order and started rattling off a list of things we needed to buy in order to make that happen. This however, sent Brian in a panic, thinking I was going to bankrupt us by buying cleaning supplies, a mop, a broom, other necessities. He freaked out (for lack of a better term), saying, "We are not going to buy a broom! We don't need it!"
I was like, "um.. ya we do! How am I supposed to clean the 4 inches of dirt off that kitchen floor?!"
The argument got bigger until one of us, I don't remember who (brian), conceded. I bought my broom and all was well.
The point is, This last week of posting has been really nice for me to celebrate all the little things about my marriage that I love and enjoy. But I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression of my husband or marriage. He is not the picture perfect husband. I am not the picture perfect wife (though I think we all know that by now), and our marriage isn't perfect. It's not even close. But we try. We laugh. We learn. We confide, and we enjoy. We do all the little things... and that is what fills me with joy. I am eternally grateful and thankful for my life, my children, and especially my husband.
Even if he seriously needs to clip his toenails.
6 comments:
Amen Sista... it truly is the small things!!! that story made me laugh cause i remember your first home... and the kitchen floor! :)
all the little things. right? you got yourself a keeper. love it.
I don't care what you say, I think you guys are perfect! :)
Great post-what's with guys and toenails anyway? In the end it's all those little(great)things put together that make a happy family. And maybe a heck of a lot of patience/understanding...
Ditto to Sarah. You guys are perfect. I love the broom fight. It hits close to home. Haha.
Brian always needs to clip his toenails! How can that be?!
And I agree with Sarah. You guys ARE perfect! Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your marriage. It makes me feel normal :)
Post a Comment