Thursday, January 27, 2011

That we might have joy

Tuesday it snowed where I am. Like, a bunch. Like, so much that I didn't want to go anywhere. So I didn't.
The house got cleaned.
The dished were washed.
Laundry got done. (not finished, done. I'm not a magician.)
There was a plan for dinner (so what if half of it came from a box?).
Porter was asleep.
Jonas and Hailey were at school.
And Caleb was quietly playing DS.
So I sat down to do some mending.


Serious.
With like, a needle and thread.


I sewed buttons back onto a few shirts
and I whipped up a little number for Hailey.

As I was sewing in my quiet little corner of the universe,
I realized I was oozing
domesticity.
And no, I don't think that's a word.
I felt like a pioneer.
Minus the gigantic skirts constantly posing a tripping threat.
Minus the sister wives.
Plus electricity and heat.
Plus a cell phone handy (you never know when you are going to get a text from a friend that promises to regale for me tales of psychotic in-laws.)
Plus my ipod quietly shuffling through my library of songs.
And then it hit me.
I feel so at home with my place in life right now.
Peace.
Glad to be a mom. A wife. A homemaker.
Is life perfect?
Uhhhh, no.
Do I have to make sacrifices to live the way I do?
Uhhhh, ya.
Would I like to change some things?
Yes, please.
But when you add up all the good, it's hard to make molehills into mountains.
Then I realized maybe that is what all those trail blazing, long suffering pioneer women must have worked so hard to feel. That is what they walked all their miles for. What they buried their children and their husbands for.
Peace.
Amazing what enlightenment you can receive from a little needle and thread.

And no, that pile of ironing was never even touched.
And I reserve the right to further complain about my life at any given moment on this blog.

P.S. I have gone back and forth on whether or not to post this post, worried that people will misunderstand the meaning. So, to clarify, I am not suggesting my way of life equals your peace. Instead, I am suggesting that peace can be found in your life if you are seeking it. So don't start that hate mail! I decided to post this mainly because I want my kids to know, when they are grown and I am gone and have nothing of me but these words to read, that being their mom and being their dad's wife made me happy, gave me peace, and filled my life with joy.


So here's to hoping you feel the same about your fabulous lives!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Well said Melanie!

Rachelle said...

I'm glad you did post it. Very glad....

briana said...

love the shirt. and why the PS?

Jen said...

I have to tell you this post changed my life. Really, it has. I read it just after you posted it and then thought and thought about it. Then the words of the RS theme came to mind, "Find nobility in motherhood and joy in womanhood" and I realized that's just what I lack these days. I've vowed to do better!!! So thanks for a great post :)

Unknown said...

Amen, sista. But not sista wife. Let's be clear on that.