
Yesterday I attended an author's tea at Jonas' school. The kids have been working on a true story all year complete with illustrations, and this is the day they get to invite family for cookies and punch and a public reading.
My first mistake was bringing my monster with me. I don't know why I do this. I think I am just holding out hope that one time I will take him somewhere and he won't embarrass me. Still holing out hope for that one.
So we get there and it's not 2 minutes before the monster pours OJ all over Jonas' desk. Then the carpet. As I am cleaning this up he throws a ball and knocks something off the wall. Nice. At this point I pin him down and let Jonas begin his reading.
Half way through his story I start to think about how every song, story and joke in our house has some kind of potty talk. I start to wonder if he knows better than to write a story with something gross in it and read it for the whole class and their families to hear.
Turns out he doesn't. Nice.
After the lovely story complete with the recounted tale of his uncle peeing his pants, it is time to check him out. As he is gathering his things, I look in his tote tray to see what would be a mouse's heaven. Bits of crackers and who knows what else scattered among bits of trash. No one else's tote tray looks this nasty. Really nice. Then as we walk over to grab his back pack and I see that his is the only one laying strewn on the floor.
And then I know for sure; that mother of the year award? I'm Definitely out of the running.
7 comments:
You for sure have the mother of the year award who are you kidding!! :) Who did he write about peeing his pants??? Hey look on the bright side atleast the kid has personality!!!
Thank-you so much for all those ideas!!! that helped out so much! Now can you come teach the class??
At least you know your life will never be boring and your kids are being, well kids. That is the best part of childhood, being yourself. -Did you ever see the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond 'the angry family'? It came to mind. So funny!
LOL- hilarious. What is a kid's story without a little bit of potty humor in it?
And as for the monster? You handled it well, considering you didn't hurl him across the room... or set him on the ground as you ran out screaming obscenities...
Or did you?
You definitely are in the running for the MOTY award (I like to make up acronyms). Don't doubt yourself.
if only every mom had your patience! are you being like one of those skinny girls that says i am so fat? well, even if you are...you are an awesome mom! btw-when are we going to lay out? -- that is by the pool in our new tankini's?
It's definitely not you! I was a teacher long enough to know kids have their own personalities and do what they want when they're away from their parents - what matters was if they were respectful to me and the other students. That came from home. So don't worry. I had lots of "potty talk" stories - kids do that because it makes others laugh. He'll be embarassed about that one day, so keep it!
That is one great story. I can't wait to have a little boy!
so funE, i posted that same quote recently! just checking for an update. ttyl!
Post a Comment