
I have never had a blankie kid. And honestly I have been a little happy with that fact. Why? Because blankies are dirty. They are carried and dragged everywhere and I have yet to see a blankie that isn't stinky and dirty, no matter how much the mother washes the thing. I had been enjoying my blankie-less bliss until child number 3 came along. He broke the Swanson Child mold in so many ways.
Unfortunately Blankie Love happened to be one of the ways.
Had I known my child would be prone to such a thing, I would have done my best to encourage a much more attractive blankie, but alas his sight and heart fell upon one of ugliest blankies ever made.
Caleb drags the blasted thing everywhere he goes. It is in a constant state of dirty. Despite my efforts to wash it into little pieces, it neither cleans or disappears, much to my disappointment. Today as my child climbed into my bed and put that ugly blankie right in my face, I saw so much more on that blankie than I should have. Like little black hairs of the Doberman that resides with us. Chocolate milk stains. Something green and crusty and we will not delve further into this. Just know it was very EWW. That was it. I was going to wash this blankie RIGHT NOW.
Normally I sneak his blanket into the wash and when he asks for it I distract him over and over until it is over. But the blanket was so gross and it was much too early in the morning for all that effort, so today I just tossed it in. And he saw me do this. Which provoked a much unwanted tantrum of massive proportions. He acted as if I had murdered his one and only love. There was no distracting him this time, nothing worked. He just stayed in that little laundry room his hand lovingly placed on the washer like it was his blankie's final resting place.
But after we took the kids to school we came back into that laundry room and rescued Blankie from the dryer and they are now currently back together, basking in the joy and love of their sweet reunion. And as he caresses his blankie and quietly vows to never be parted again, I see that a mother should never come between a boy and his blankie.
13 comments:
Ha funny. I had a blankie. Until my mom left it at a BYU bowl game. Then when I was 16 she remade it exactly the same for me for Christmas. I still have it!
Go easy on the kid. We love our blankies! ;)
remember the blankie for that one girl at the club? it was like pink with a brown dirt border! EWWWWWW burke had a soft nite nite. they pick em and they name em! she still treats it with much respect, but doesn't carry it around everywhere we go. it is kinda sad cuz it means she is growing up. =(
I had a blankie til I was... Oh yeah I brought it on my honeymoon, & don't forget the birth of my son Cayden!!! DON"T EVER DITCH THE BLANKIE!!! :) you might see it til he is thirty as well!! :)
[it is a little embrassing to admit]
I can relate, Gavin is the same way. I don't mind so much but I bought a duplicate for my sanity thinking when one gets dirty, lost etc. He could tell the difference from the beginning...darn. It is crazy. I just wish he would call it a blanket...how he calls it "tee-tee" is a bit embarrassing for those around that don't know that he is referring to a blanket.
I caught a little bit of your conversation earlier today when you were talking about this. I guess I never thought about how dirty blankies get. eew.
Caleb is funny. He and Hayden were so cute together today. It was fun watching them. After you left for mutual, they were being hilarious! They were putting a bucket on each others heads, and Hayden would tap on it, and Caleb would say "What?" "..Come in."
I think I am going to have to come over more! :)
You have got to try Ruth's Chris steakhouse!!! It is the best steak I have ever had, I'm not joking. It's expensive but it is totally worth it. It is best to go on a week night, then it isn't as crowded. It's downtown at 134 W Pierpont ave. You do need to make a reservation. I hope you and Brian are able to go sometime, you will love it!
they have ruth's chris in louisiana. it is awesome! expensive, but so good! i didn't know they had one here. note to self: go downtown!
Mel I promise I will post pics real soon!!! Crazy being home!!
Do you want to help me unpack???
love ya
my kids are both blankie kids and I have no idea how it came to be that way. i have a love/hate relationship with them. although they are dirty it is a quick fix to most tears and can also be used as a method to treat bad behavior. my kids not only have a blankie but on their blankies on has a "shiny corner" (don't know where that came from) and the other has a "taggie"....those are their absolute favorite most dirty part of the blanket and I am sure very germ infested but definitely loved.
Too cute. Chad and I gave the girls new blankets for their birthday's. I am planning a post on that one in a few days. They were so worn and used that you could almost see through them. I have your FHE packets. I can bring then up next week. Lisa
Such fun I have to look forward to! Sam loves his blankey and so far it hasn't been a problem getting it away from him (he's only 11 months). I hope it stays that way!
lol- linus and his blankie, huh? That is so cute. I know, they are so terribly dirty when the kids drag them everywhere. And they start to reek... nasty. I'm glad he and his true love were finally reunited.
Ashley Rae and the Rockstar? I love it- haha!
I have a blankie girl too, or I should say night-night girl, as she so lovingly refers to her part human extension of herself. We have even tried replacing it with a less ragged and worn version, but that didn't even begin to work. I truly fear the day that thing officially disintergrates.
Post a Comment