Monday, June 23, 2008

Date and Interview with a Daughter


I enjoyed a mommy daughter date with a little girl on Saturday. She dressed herself, put on a little make up and got to choose where to go. She chose the mall. While this worries me greatly, I find hope in the fact that her main reason for wanting to go there was the carousel. She rode that, we took pictures in the photo booth, and then looked in the hellp kitty store. She ooed and awwed while I choked on the price of everything in that store. Then we looked in all the cheap jewelry stores and squealed in delight at all the high school musical paraphanelia. She settled on a Webkins and we went to Eat at Hot Dog on a Stick. There I had a stroke of genius. Why not be completely repetitive and interview her for the blog? That way, i don't have to think so hard about what to write. That makes my brain hurt. So here it is in all it's cheesiness:
Daughter: [while she is eating a Hot Dog on a stick] "Why do they call this a hot dog on a stick, when it is really a corn dog?"
Mom: Good point hailey, I have no idea. Except that maybe corn dogs should be called hot dogs on a stick, because that is really what they are.
Daughter: What?
Mom: Nevermind.
Mom: What's your favorite joke?
Daughter: [thinks for a second] OH! k, how does an elephant get on clothes? [staring expectantly at me]
Mom: [seeing that this will be origonal] uh.... i don't know. how?
Daughter: with his trunk! [giggles and giggles]
Mom: [laughter] did you make that up?
Daughter: yeah, how'd ya know?
Mom: 'Cuz it was sooo funny and I know how funny you are.
Daughter [chest puffing out a bit, completely pleased with herself] I know!
Mom: Who is the funniest person in our family?
Daughter: Points right at me and giggles, lots of giggles.
Mom: [faining surprise. moi? why? me?]
Daughter: Cause you say weird things and your make crazy eyes.
Mom: [laughing]
Daughter: Why do you laugh like that?
Mom: [abrubtly stopping] Like what?
Daughter: Like [imitates my laugh but makes it sound like an idiotic witch cackle]
Mom: Uh, I didn't know I sounded like that.
Daughter: Ya, its weird.
Mom: Well thanks for informing me. Who is the smartest person in our family?
Daughter: [thinks hard by staring at the ceiling] You.
Mom: [chest puffing out a bit, completely pleased with myself and clearly seeing that this 5 year old knows what she is talking about] Why me?
Daughter: 'Cuz you know when we want our sandwiches cut and when we want 'em whole.
Mom: That is rather smart of me; I think I deserve a Nobel prize, really.
Daughter: What?
Mom: Nevermind. What do I do that embarrasses you?
Daughter: [speaks very quickly] When you sing like an Oprah lady around the house.
Mom: [Loudly singing from enchanted] How does she know you love her? How does she know...?
Daughter: [face disappears in her hands, but I totally hear giggles]
Mom: What's the funnest thing we have ever done together?
Daughter: Mommy daughter dates. [long pause] Mom? can we do them until I die?
Mom: Yep. I plan on it. [pause] Hailey, I love you.
Daughter: [rolls her eyes and says in a very exasperated tone] I know; you already told me!

And somehow, I think in 10 years these little dates will be 10% fun and 90% annoying to her.


7 comments:

Heather said...

Mel, I just love that! What a fun time! I need so badly to do that with my kids. i think it is soo important! Love the jewlery btw!
ummm you didn't want to spend $9.99on a piece of gum??!? :)

Merilee said...

That was so cute. I agree those kind of one on one times are very important.

Macdonalds said...

That is so sweet! I'm glad you two were able to enjoy some one on one time. (You have no idea how badly I want a daughter!) I love having that special time with each of my boys, even if it involves hunting for snakes and grasshoppers. I doubt they will ever ask to go to the mall and ride the carousel...especially when there are mud puddles to be jumped in. That quality time is so important, even when they reach the point of being annoyed.

Lisa said...

That is so sweet. I love those one on one times with my kids. I think I need to interview my kids too. Thanks for the idea. Lisa

Heidi P said...

Love this song BTW...
FUN! I can't wait until going to the mall with my daughter is actually fun instead of a nightmare. Why is Hello Kitty so freaking expensive!? Glad you guys had fun. That is my kind of date. Food and Shopping :)

Ashley Rae said...

Ok, that makes my heart melt. SO cute. That is so good for her to have that time with you. And how could she find it annoying in the future? You are obviously the coolest mom in the world.

briana said...

we need to double sometime soon before school starts! and by the way...hot dog/corn dog on a stick- that is what it is called until you're an adult... then it is 5 pounds of fat that rests on your hips and holds on for dear life on a stick! i am glad you got a chance to get away! what did you end up buying at charlotte russe?