
OK... so if I am going to keep it real, I must confess something. A huge pet peeve of mine. It's something that bothers me very very much. And it's something that I see every day in life but now it's also getting out of control in the mommy blogger world.
Has this ever happened to you? You are visiting a friend's blog and see someone you know but maybe haven't kept in touch with or someone you don't know really well but you click on it to see what they have been up to? Get a little peek into their life? You do, but then suddenly, you are bombarded with fakeness? [I know this sounds harsh but it is annoying to me]
I really dislike that some people have to act like their life is one big fairy tale, that the money tree in their yard is massive and endless, their romantic vacations are frequent and lavish, their children are always sweet, clean and perfect, and they make no mistakes and life is just one big ball of easiness. I can't stand this. And I will tell you why.
Because it is never true.
And we women put a lot of pressure on ourselves. We measure everyone's best against our worst. And when other women act like their lives are a picture perfect fairytale with no mistakes or mishaps, it makes other women feel like they are failing because they know their kids don't always look like they came out of a Gap catalog, and they have a budget, and their bathroom is dirty. I hate to perpetuate the cycle of women feeling less than, so I find myself sometimes airing dirty laundry just so people feel a little better by knowing that things don't run smoothly around here all the time either. Now, I know I am preaching to the choir; most of you women that read my blog don't have this misrepresenting syndrome, and I thank you for this!!
But just in case there is one mommy reader out there who is faking it, let me give you a piece of advice. Just be you in your life and in your posts. That is what people like you for and that is what they tune in for, not some second rate version of June Cleaver.
Rant ended.
10 comments:
Amen, Amen, Amen! love ya..
I thought that I was the only one that felt like this! :)
You are so funny!!! I love when you just say it like it is. I have felt this way so many times and wonder if people really think that the rest of us are just stupid. Everyone has bad days and life is not always rosie. Thanks for always posting and talking about REAL LIFE. I enjoy it!
you know, if you would read the books i read...you could be june cleaver. we have discussed this.
Im not fake. My life really is perfect! Cody and I never argue. We have all the money in the world to buy whatever we want. My house is spotless and clean at any given moment. And Lexi is such a good baby, I never have to clean up after the messes she makes or console her when she wakes up screaming in the night because she doesn't do that either. I have a gourmet dinner ready when Cody gets home and we always make time to give service each day...
So I don't know what you are talking about.
VERY well put. I couldn't have said it better myself.
Well, apparently Sarah is the exception. Hehe.
It is annoying. But sometimes its hard to get too personal thru a blog, fearing what might get thrown back at you...But I agree, who is perfect!? Even if your kids look perfect everyday and you enjoy cooking, life is real and so are emotions. And they are all okay, even the angry kind! :)
You are fabulous. This is so true yet sad. As a mom I have learned a lot (in my three years of experience) and I am realizing that it's okay to not do everything a certain way. Relax and enjoy the time you are blessed to have with your kids(even if their face is covered in spaghetti sauce stains and you haven't combed their hair, and well they haven't had pants on that week since Sunday morning.) Life is too short to live it falsely. Before I know it my own kids will be grown up and I want to remember them being kids and having fun, even if that means getting messy. After all,money doesn't make the memories.
Wow! I love that you posted that. btw I like the new color on your blog.
Oh ya! I totally agree. While I am all for staying positive, I hate it when people are fake too. I want the dirty details people! (so I don't looks so bad, haha) Sarah's comment is too funny!!
My wife will love you for this post. No offense to any of your readers who may do this, but my pet peeve is a variation of yours: when people's blogs are entirely centered around their kids and the "magic" they bring to their lives. Kids are great, I've got a couple somewhere, but I also have a couple other dimensions to me lying around too.
Post a Comment