Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Can you keep a secret?


I swear if any of you repeat what I am about to say, I will deny it. I am using this blog post as a full confessional today. I don't tell people this, but I used to be a hippie. It may or may not surprise some of you, but I was. My ninth grade picture is great proof. I will do my best to see that none of you ever lay eyes on it. I wore bell bottoms and tie dye shirts. I spent my babysitting money to buy the recycled notebook paper my mom refused to buy me because it was so much more expensive than normal paper. I picked up trash when I walked home from school. I subscribed to Greenpeace's magazines as well as many other what is now known as "green campaign" publishing's. I wrote articles in the school paper about the the 3 R's (reuse, reduce, recycle). I covered my wall with the above symbol. I started a petition to get the school to start recycling. I first celebrated earth day 15 years ago. I sat in a drum circle with a bunch of hippies in pioneer park and listened to their message of loving the earth and protecting it and it's inhabitants with wide eyes and an open heart.
It was a phase though. I am a bit ashamed, but a lot of what I believed in just kind of disappeared once I hit high school. I needed to make new friends and was a bit embarrassed about my weird ways. So in an effort to fit in, I put away the tie dyed shirts and bell bottoms. I stopped using recycled paper. I quit opening the "green" magazines. I even threw newspaper and aluminum cans into the garbage when I wasn't at home. (it still makes me literally cringe every single time I do this). In time I just became the average self absorbed teenager and I quit caring about all that stuff.
But recently with the green campaign hype explosion, I have felt a large amount of guilt weighing on my shoulders. Some people I know, who shall remain anonymous, do not believe in global warming and therefore feel the need to go green is just a political campaign. I will not go into all that... (way to deep for this blog, let me tell you). What I can say is I do believe deep in my heart in treating the earth with respect. If that means not using disposable plastic water bottles daily, then I think I have a responsibility to do that. I think I can admit that now. I also think I could stand to step it up a little. I am going to start with little things. I think tomorrow, I am going to go out and buy those reusable shopping bags, and risk looking a little eccentric. Because it will plain make me feel a little better. Like I am doing something, no matter how small, it will be something. I can swear to you today, however, that you will never see me use cloth diapers. Not for any amount of money. I believe God had a hand in the creation of disposable diapers and I thank him for that. Also, I will never denounce my love for the paper towel. There are somethings you just can't live without. So my question for you, this earth day, is what small change can you make? And what will you never give up, no matter the guilt the world will throw your way?

9 comments:

briana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
briana said...

btw...what's the verdict? are we talking about it or not?

Kristie said...

You make me laugh! I think I got to see a bit of that hippie girl, but that was a long time ago...at least it feels like it. Anyway, you and my husband would get along beautifully. He is a lover of trees and all things environmentally friendly. I am waiting for him to get home and post a blog about the woes of global warming, which, by the way, are we still debating if it really exists?-- come on people!

Heidi P said...

I too, had a wannabe hippie faze. I attended a Grateful Dead concert, and still would like to drive a red 21 window bus. :)
Oprah today inspired me to get the reuseable grocery bags, and to call the city for a recycle bin. Thanks to you I for sure will do it now!
Peace & Love

Heather said...

Mel, will you still be my friend if I tell you that I threw my banana peel out the window today??
I got some serious dirty looks!! I live in recycle land!!!!
Seriously you wore bells!!!! :)
I love ya!!!
Ummm I hav't to see the picture!!!!

Jen said...

Wow! That's definitely a side of Mel I never saw! Good luck going green while living in a house with my dad. He might mess up the bins just for the fun of it :) J/K!!
And as for myself, I never learned what goes in the recycle trash can, so unless it's obvious (one of those wasteful telephone books) it never even makes it into it's permanent home.

Nick Park said...

I never knew Mell, but I must say with the huge campaign over the last few years, I have become more aware of this sort of thing. So instead of using a barrage of water bottles I switched a few years ago to a Nalgene bottle. (Come to find out even THESE are hazardous to your health) I also try to unplug anything that's not being used as much as possible. I know it's not much, but it's something.

Val said...

Tell Brain that there was nothing wrong with your last post. I am glad to hear that I won't be the only one carrying around my reuseable bags. I have tried to start a recycle bin at my work, and I am finding that it is a pain in the rear. I know that I am doing good, but I am tired of bring it home everynight and trying to fit it in my two bins. Everyweek on garbage day you will see me out in my pj's trying to stuff what I have left over into my neighbors bins. I am starting to feel like a freak!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever noticed Kerry picks the cans out of the trash at family gatherings? I think theirs one in every family, but we have two.