Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Somewhat Annual Performance Review


I have been trying for the last hour to understand a certain word that Caleb has been trying to tell me. He kept pulling on my leg or yanking my hand saying "car plow." So I think I understand "car" and I open the car bucket. The shrieks that came out of his mouth let me know that the car bucker was not the object he was looking for. Maybe looking at something outside? No the thrashing on the floor was probably a good hint that I was still not on the right track. So I pick his limp body up and carry him thru each room in the house carefully pointing at random objects each time asking, "Is this what you want?" Each time getting a varied but none the less, ear piercing response that my guess was not the right one. What seems like hours later I near the coffee table and see on the floor his Cars pillow. Car plow = car pillow? Hmmm. I am thinking this could be it! I pick it up and ask him, "Is this what you want? Your Cars Pillow? And he looks at me like I have just discovered the light bulb, hugs my leg like a life preserver and says, "Good job MOM!!!" And you know what? At that moment I really did feel like I had just discovered a way to make cars run on garbage. I think I ought to wait a while before I ask him if I did a good enough job to get a raise. Crossing my fingers on that one.

5 comments:

Merilee said...

this made me laugh! What a funny boy you have. Great picture! He looks so happy!

Heather said...

Oh sweet Caleb!! Don't you love trying to figure them out!! :) I leave tomorrow night for utah!!

Jen said...

Poor kids! That's got to be so frustrating not to be able to communicate anything. I wonder why he didn't just go get it himself? Oh yeah, he's 2. I'm looking forward to those days with Sam....(not really!)

briana said...

love that kid, makes me want to squeeze his little cheeks! wink, wink you know cheeks! oh and while i am at it, i could start potty training....LOL

Macdonalds said...

I feel so relieved when I actually figure out what Gavin is saying. It is such a challenge sometimes. On the other hand when he yelled "boobs, boobs!" during the sacrament I wished I hadn't understood that one along with the rest of our ward.