Thursday, May 29, 2008

The mud strikes back

I would show you more but you really don't want to see. You really don't. All you need to know is that these children's grandpa asked me if they would like to go play in the "water". I took this as an invitation for clean water fun in a pool or some sprinklers. Apparently, "water" meant the irrigation in the pasture. Which comes with a whole lot of mud. I asked them what happened. Jonas' response? The mud strikes back. I think he lacked in the whole remorse department.
They were cold you see. And somewhere along the line, Jonas picked up the knowledge that mud retains some warmth from the earth, So he went ahead and spread it over his entire body. Every inch. Hailey helped him with the inches he couldn't reach. Then it looked like too much fun for her to pass up, so she covered herself as well. By the time I discovered what they were doing, it was too late. So I did what any mom would do. I took pictures.
While I was dealing with hosing them off, I could hear the terrified chirps of the chicks which meant only one thing: Caleb was awake. I was on my way in to rescue the chicks when Caleb innocently came strolling out of the room... with feathers covering his shirt as evidence. So far all the chickens have survived his "loving". But I will keep you posted.
Just another day around the Swanson household. And unfortunately, this really is life as usual.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Oh Mel...... The fun of motherhood!
Those poor chicks!! :) lol

Kristie said...

Do you live on a farm or what? My husband wanted to get chicks once and I put the kabosh on that. He is a farmboy and I guess he just can't get it out of his system.
How old are your kids? We should totally get together for a lunchdate or something...maybe on your farm :). I would love to get together since we haven't seen each other forever...I think it was your wedding.

Ashley Rae said...

Jonas has the right idea. Mud keeps you warm. And so nice that Hailey helped him out. THAT is love for you, right there.

Sarah said...

I can totally see Hailiey steppin right in to add mud to Jonas, but I was surprised to hear that she joined in the fun as well.
Oh boy, Pops sure has some bad ideas sometimes.

briana said...

so FUN! i remember playing in the mud. not for warmth, just to get dirty! cool that it was pops idea!

Macdonalds said...

I remember helping my dad irrigate and sometimes it was really late at night in the summer and Eric and I got in some pretty big mud fights. Andy still doesn't believe me. Even the girliest of girls can get dirty. I'm glad your kids had fun and that the chicks survived another day.