Sunday, August 24, 2008

New Beginnings

I've come to the conclusion that the word Summer must mean play time in some other language. That is what summer was to us this year. No big trips, no fancy guests, no real big outings either. But it was play time none the less. It was full of sun, exploring, laughter, creativity and childhood. It was a good summer. But as fun as it was, we all know it has to end. If it didn't I think one of my adorable children would likely strangle another adorable sibling... and drive me crazy in the process. We decided to end summer nie style, with a private dinner party. A fancy party. Well as fancy as this house will ever get, at least. We pulled out the nice dishes for this party. We lit candles. We drank fancy soda. We put our pinkies in the air.

We laughed. We laughed a lot. My children are rarely serious. I am not quite sure where they got that from.
We laughed at Caleb's innovative ways of using the fancy table settings.

We ate and we talked. Talked about the summer; what they loved, what they didn't. We talked about the new school year. All the excitement and all the nerves. We gave them a chance to voice their concerns. It was cool to see these kids as little people trying to figure out their place in this big world.

We talked about our family goal:



We named things we want to work harder at this school year. Even those of us who are not heading off to school... like Caleb. He vowed to work harder to challenge our patience in order to make us better parents. He's sweet like that.
As we talked, I looked around the table at each one of the four people sitting there and saw my universe. I couldn't help but think that these are the coolest, smartest, bravest, strongest people in the world to me. They make me proud every single day. I Love them more than my intellect can comprehend. I promised to myself that, this school year, I will work harder to be the mom/wife they deserve.

What are you going to work on this school year?

8 comments:

Merilee said...

Amen, Sista!
What a fun thing to do together. You are such a good and fun mom. I hope that I can be that way too, and encourage and support my kids the way you do.

Jen said...

Um, just keeping up with Sam and soon John, too....

I'm glad you guys had so much fun. What a great idea!

Heidi P said...

What a cute idea!! Isn't it crazy how much you love your kids?

My goal is to not hate the winter this year. This is a HUGE one, but it will effect everyone, so I figure its a good one to have :)

Kristie said...

I have to make goals for the school year??? I'm taking another year off. Talk to me when kindergarten rolls around.

Rachelle said...

That's awesome. I need to celebrate the little things like that more often... What a fantastic idea. And having a family goal.... BRILLIANT. I think my goal this year will be to be more like your family.

briana said...

boo hoo hoo! there you go making something without me! i am beginning to think we will NEVER finish our projects. btw, that NEVER IS ME YELLING AND UPSET!

ok, i am over it! i love it, my kids back to school experience came and went twice this year with moving and all ~i was forced to keep it simple. which meant not so special. i still need to post!

Heather said...

o.k. i need one of those "work hard" pictures!!!!!!!!! H E L L O what the heck i love it & i'm so copying you on this cute dinner!!
i will call you this week to get the dinner menu!!! :)

Sarah said...

I think that is the cutest tradition to start. Give me a few years and I'll be doing it too.

Good luck to you all!!